Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 5, 2002
iPods Pose Security Risk

This is nothing new, USB drives have been banned elsewhere but come on! In most cases where I have seen people freak out about these types of small devices, it has been the organizations failure to keep up with proper security techniques allowing anyone to easily come along and clean house.

Seems to me that they, by electing to go with, as they say, the USB-friendly Microsoft XP operating system, opened themselves up to the potential risk of any USB device becoming a threat thus using the title iPods Pose Security Risk to be nothing more then an attention getter due to apple's success of it.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2003
the fact iPod is a large HD adds to the concern. it's conceivable that iPod can be used to steal the entire HD and not just files here and there.

i remember reading about people stealing expensive programs such as FCP from retail demo Macs when the iPod was first introduced - taking advantage of 5 GB HD, fast FW connection and Mac OS' drag and drop application installation scheme.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
lol, wasn't she smuggling out a virus in that movie. I always thought, man, that was a big virus. She made multiple trips and the drive had to be at least 8MB, I don't think smaller ones were made. I suppose 4MB ones were available at one time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.