1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

British Pound Breaks Through $2 for First Time in Nearly 15 Years

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Unspeaked, Apr 18, 2007.

1. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

2. macrumors Core

3. macrumors G3

bigandy

I hope it stays like this until I can make it over to the states in the summer. I'll buy another Mac in NYC and save myself several £££'s.

Earlier today, it hit another high:

edit: damnit bartelby, stop posting before me :p

4. macrumors 68040

killmoms

It's official: the dollar is in the *******. :( Le sigh.

Oh well, at least I can take comfort in the fact that, for all the strength of their currency, they're still paying way too much for Apple products.

That does make me feel better. :)

5. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Yes, but as the headline says, it's the first time it's broken through the $2 mark in 15 years...

6. macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

7. macrumors Core

Does it?:eek:
    Sorry about that. I just thought some American news station was trying to soften the blow.;)

8. macrumors G4

You do realise even the poorest of us now earn more than you, right? :D

9. macrumors Core

You mean even I'm rich?!?:eek:

10. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

This is one blow that would be very difficult to soften - especially for anyone who'd planned a UK holiday in the next few months!

;)

11. macrumors G4

Only in US$ and all the other worthless currencies out there :p

EDIT: Actually that smiley should be a :( You should be rich.

12. macrumors Core

I've got a small stack of poopy currencies. Dollars, Czech Koruna, Slovakian Koruna and Turkish Lira.

13. macrumors 6502a

im_to_hyper

Oh well, I guess I won't be going to London like I originally planned. And this sucks, too... especially since I allocated $500 to spend while over there. That only gives me HALF of what i wanted. argh.

14. macrumors G4

So which one will you be lighting your fat rich man's Cuban cigars with?

£250 won't get you at all far in London I'm afraid. Unless you mean London, Arkansas. There it will buy you half the town, trailer parks and all :)

15. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I don't know, I figure he could pick up a week's pass on the underground, a daily meal at McDonald's, a small daily snack from Tesco and a train ride to and from the airport and STILL have about £75 left over to spend on stuff.

If one sticks to the free museums, it's workable.

Though for the same amount, you could get a flight and hotel to Las Vegas, plus a week's worth of excellent meals and some fun nights out. Oh, and gambling.

Hmm, have you considered Vegas??

:D

16. macrumors 603

Cromulent

£250 for a week in London?! Christ, I can quite easily spend £120 on one night out in London, and that is going home to sleep. God knows what it would be with hotel prices on top of that.

Edit : Seems I imagined you saying you were visiting for a week, oh well the point is the same :).

17. macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

To be fair, he does say that's what he set aside to SPEND, so in my scenario up above, I assumed the airline ticket and hotel - at least - were not included in that figure.

Now, if $500 is purely play money, and it doesn't factor in travel, hotel OR meals, then I think it's quite doable, especially with all the free things one can do in London in the summer...

18. macrumors G4

dmw007

Yes, this sadly seems to be the case. £ > $

19. macrumors 6502

Mr. G4

That is a good news for the US economie.

More visitors to the US, more export of American good since they are cheaper now.

Lets look at the bright side :D

20. macrumors G4

Apart from one brief point during the Thatcher years when the two currencies hit equality during a Tokyo trading session, that's always been the case :)

21. macrumors 604

QuarterSwede

I wonder if this has to do with the UK not giving in to the Euro.

22. macrumors G4

This is due to an incredibly weak dollar rather than a strong pound. The value of the pound is pretty stable against the rest of the major currencies, including the Euro. Major central banks have been dumping their dollar reserves, which says a lot about where they view the American economy as heading.

Fasten your seat belts. I think we're all in for a bumpy ride over the next few years.

23. macrumors G3

When exactly did you plan your trip to London??? :eek: :eek: :p

Really... it's only a marginal increase on what it's been consistantly hovering at for the last 12 months or so. ;)

24. macrumors G3

Lets hope 'eh. :D *begins crossing fingers and fumbs for several interest rate hikes over the coming months*

25. macrumors G4

As long as they wait until October.