British versus American Sex Education Attitudes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by numediaman, May 18, 2004.

1. numediaman macrumors 6502a

skunk, you've been holding out on us! Why didn't you post this article?

Oral sex lessons to cut rates of teenage pregnancy

Mark Townsend
    Sunday May 9, 2004
    The Observer

Encouraging schoolchildren to experiment with oral sex could prove the most effective way of curbing teenage pregnancy rates, a government study has found.

Pupils under 16 who were taught to consider other forms of 'intimacy' such as oral sex were significantly less likely to engage in full intercourse, it was revealed.

Britain's teenage pregnancy rate is the highest in Europe. In 2002 there were 39,286 teen pregnancies recorded. The government has spent more than £60 million to tackle the problem but so far failed to halt the rise.

A sex education course developed by Exeter University trains teachers to talk to teenagers about 'stopping points' before full sex.

Now an unpublished government-backed report reveals that a trial of the course has been a success. Schoolchildren, particularly girls, who received such training developed a 'more mature' response to sex.

The study by the National Foundation for Educational Research found youngsters were 'less likely to be sexually active' than peers who received traditional forms of sex education, dispelling the fears of family campaigners who believe such methods actually arouse the sexual interest of teenagers.

Now the government will recommend the scheme, called A Pause, to schools throughout England and Wales following the success of the trial in 104 schools where sexual intercourse among 16-year-olds fell by up to 20 per cent, according to Dr John Tripp of the Department of Child Health at the University of Exeter, who helped to design the course.

Teachers who sign up to the course are primed to deal with queries from pupils on all kinds of sexual experience. Those behind the course stress the scheme does not suggest teenagers experiment with oral sex. Instead they say A Pause promotes the message that other forms of physical intimacy are safer than full intercourse.

'It teaches people assertiveness skills and that they should be only as intimate as they feel comfortable with,' said Tripp.

A Department for Education and Skills spokesman said the report's verdict would be made available to all schools. 'All teachers respect peer-reviewed material, and this will help influence their decision,' he said.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1212734,00.html/

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well as someone who was educated in the UK till I was 12, glad we didn't have that back then...then again I DID go to an all-boys Boarding School... :eek:

3. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Lesson today class: Watch the teeth!

bwahaha :p

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

okay... that is just weird. To me, oral sex is more intimate than vaginal sex (can I say that here?)

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I tend to think so too, but I'm a guy. You're a woman right? If so, you'd be just about the first I'd ever heard to have your point of view. Almost every woman I've ever met said they've given more head than had intercourse.

As for the article, it makes sense to me. Information leads to more informed decisions. Imagine that!

6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Yes, I'm female... I *think* I'm the only female who posts regularly in this part of the forum. I guess I wasn't thinking of giving but receiving ;)

*wonders if this will get deleted*

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I suspected as much :)

Why on earth is this in "Political and War Discussion"???

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Possibly because the title implied comparitives between British and American attitudes. But as it has almost turned into a "who likes doing it" kind of free-for-all, I think that most readers are finding that tenuous link rather hard to swallow.

;)

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

10. radhak macrumors regular

for all my support for 'education' for the kids, i am unable to swallow (;)) this.

telling kids about dangers of unprotected sex is one thing; telling them that another way of doing it might be safer is another. the only thing saved here is pregnancy, but there might be just as much danger of disease transmission, or greater (who uses condoms during such?).

and i can already imagine guys pressurizing girls with, 'the teacher said this is okay'...

11. numediaman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because in America, sex is political. And because Macrumors doesn't have a "Religion" forum.

I almost posted it on a film forum, after all, "Nine Songs" is (or will be) stirring up a bit of controversary.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

anybody has some international numbers for teen pregnacy ? as far as i remember hasn't the USA a even higher teen pregnacy percentage than the UK ?

for teenager 'sexual-education in school' we got our when we were 13 ... but most of the time we were bored because we knew the important things already...

13. numediaman thread starter macrumors 6502a

This should answer your question:

With its very high teen pregnancy rate the United States is seriously out of line with other developed nations. Each year in this country almost one million teenagers become pregnant, and approximately four in ten girls become pregnant at least once before reaching the age of twenty. This is twice the rate found in the next highest nation, Great Britain, and nearly ten times the rates found in Japan and the Netherlands.

http://marriage.rutgers.edu/Publications/pubteenp.htm

In an attempt to lower teen pregnancy rates, the Bush administration is announcing that starting in 2005, "teen" will be defined as someone between the ages of 13 and 14. This should result in a dramatic decrease in "teen pregnancies". All pregnancies among those between the ages of 15 and 19 will be reclassified as "immaculate conceptions".

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Maybe since it involves assembling two distinct parts into one, we could reclassify those 15-19 year olds pregnancies into manufacturing jobs! :D

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That WOULD solve the problem, because in no time at all it would be outsourced. :D

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha really ?

as far as i know they count pregnancies from 18 (or 19) and younger (no limit like 15) as teen pregnacies here

i personally know only one girl who got pregnant when she was 17 and got the child when she was 18 (at 18 your allowed to vote etc. ...your not a teenager according to the law anymore)
    and yeah a friend got surprised last year by a child...but he is already 21 and she is 24....
    we already betting who will be the first getting married