Britney says we have to trust our President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Sayhey, Sep 3, 2003.

1. macrumors 68000

Sayhey

In an interview as a follow up to her fateful Madonna kiss, Ms. Spears says this:
    Damn, now I'm going to have to reevaluate my whole position on Bush! ;)

http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/03/britney.spears/index.html

Edit: all you folks out there with dirty minds ignore the double entendre!

2. macrumors 601

zimv20

i bet if she'd said that a week ago, there'd have been no kiss from madonna. :)

i saw the clip of ms. spears saying that, and she went kinda stepford wives at that moment. so who knows if she really feels that way or if her publicist and other handlers are managing it. i'm kinda curious why she/they felt a need to discuss politics at all.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Could be someone warned her of a repeat of the reaction to the Dixie Chicks. :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well hey, if Jonny Depp can run his mouth, so can Ms. Spears. Nice to know where she stands on the matter though.

5. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Seriously? Why is that?

6. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Of course she has a right to run her mouth as well! My only point was the "my President right or wrong" aspect of what she said was incredibly silly. If she agrees with Bush on something, say so and move on, but we don't live in a monarchy where we have to blindly support our "leader."

7. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

"Once the war against Saddam begins, we expect every American to support our military, and if they can't do that, to shut up. Americans, and indeed our allies, who actively work against our military once the war is underway will be considered enemies of the state by me. Just fair warning to you, Barbra Streisand, and others who see the world as you do."
    --Bill O'Reilly, 2/26/03

8. macrumors 601

zimv20

most certainly. it surprised me only in that i've never heard her be political before. mr. depp has established himself as an outspoken critic of american policy.

that, and the manner in which she spoke, which i've already mentioned.

9. macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's nice to see peoples cards on the table. Helps evaluate the rest of their statements. Not that I care much about Britney's deep thought(s), but I always find it interesting which celebs stay out of the mess, and which ones jump in.

10. macrumors 601

zimv20

yes

11. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Re: Britney says we have to trust our President

-Dammit!

Dammit, dammit, dammit!

12. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: Re: Britney says we have to trust our President

LOL! Sorry, patrick0brien, but when you have Bush and Britney Spears in the same story it is just too easy for sophisticated commentators like you! :p

13. macrumors 65816

Taft

Ha!

I think this should have been posted in that thread about Al Franken's new book. The Great Bill O'Reilly indeed!

Taft

14. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I guess. I just wonder why anybody would be interested in an actor or pop singer's views on world affairs. These people tend to be terminally clueless about these matters, and only get heard because they live with cameras constantly pointed at their faces.

15. macrumors 68040

mactastic

Who knows... she might run for govenor someday! :p

Seriously though, a lot of those on the left get all worked up when political pundits go after Alec Baldwin, Johnny Depp, Babs, Martin Sheen. It's a celeb's right to jump in to the fray if they want. Just 'cuz its Britney and she's supporting the pres doesn't mean we should automatically dismiss her. Of course her constant giggling during her CNN interview might lead you to that conclusion, but thats a different matter...

16. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I dismiss all of them with equal prejudice. :D

If a celebrity studies up on the issues and makes an effort to be an active and informed political participant -- fine, they have as much right to be heard as anyone, but also no more right be heard then anyone else.

17. macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-All

My favorite celebrity "Activist" to watch is Janeane Garofalo. She'll spew one-sided, unweighted, opinionated words in such a way that noone can interject (by design). When a person does manage to get a word in, she overspeaks like we all did in grade school. She doesn' listen to anyone but herself.

She even denies using her celebrity status to get onto a stage to spew this stuff, I actuall laugh out loud when I see her.

And this makes for a noisy factory of unbelievably biased drivel.

And many of you know that I have little respect for statements that aren't backed up by evidence, or facts. She might be right about what she is talking about, but it's so slathered with blind opinion, and lacking in facts, that she's essentially ignored.

18. macrumors 68000

mcrain

Out of curiousity, why do we seem to believe actors and celebrities are any less knowledgable about political events than the rest of us, if not more? I mean, don't they ahve better access to the big money people than any of us do? Don't they have a lot more time to sit around and think about these things than those of us who work do?

Just a couple of new thoughts for the closed minded in the group.

19. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

You talkin' to me? :)

I don't think celebrities are inherently any less or any more knowledgeable then the rest of us, but the rest of us don't live in front of cameras and microphones like these people do. The fact that they're such public personas leads many to believe that they are possessed of some sort of special wisdom, and to hang on their every word.

Let's put it this way: I can have a much more interesting discussion about US foreign policy with the people on this board then I could ever have with Britney Spears -- but look who we're talking about!

20. macrumors 601

zimv20

fwiw, i'm an (obscure) actor/writer and i do the things i do because i feel i have something to say*. i'd bet the same holds true for a lot of people in hollywood.

* i sure ain't doing it for the money :)

21. macrumors 68030

mischief

Ack.

If the Bublegum Princess has any bearing on politics or any thoughts of her own (other than those regarding her collection of Wonder-Bra's) it's surely time to start selling space-heaters to demons.

Angelina Jolie I'm willing to take seriously. She has ambassadorial status. BS, on the other hand, I class firmly with Vanilla Ice and the Monkees as too artificially sweet to have substance.:rolleyes:

22. macrumors 68040

tazo

Having a pseudo-lesbian encounter on stage sounds just like the typical conservative thing to do :rolleyes:

23. macrumors 601

zimv20

http://www.lcr.org/

24. thread starter macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Re: Ack.

I really didn't mean for this thread to be too serious. I thought her remarks were rather silly.

25. macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Re: Re: Ack.

They'll be really serious though after her star fades and she's posing in a "gentleman's magazine" a few years down the road.