Brking: Florida halts all lethal injections after inmate fails to die

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skoker, Dec 15, 2006.

1. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

This just flashed on my Reuters client, the story attached is from CNN.com

http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/12/14/diaz.execution.ap/index.html

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I saw this on the local news. Leave it to Floriduh to mess up an execution.

It's a pity that this murderer had to suffer since he was so merciful toward his victim.

3. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Whatever happened to good old fashioned hanging? The old West had it right and us weaklings had to screw it up.

4. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

You're being facetious, right? Hanging is by no means humane. The Guillotine is probably the best way to go about it. It probably wouldn't go over very well in the US though because of its French roots though.

"The Old West" is mostly fiction when it comes to the portrayal of good vs evil. Frontier justice was everything but just and administered mostly by a lot of evil, money-grubbing and egotistical creeps.

John Wayne did a great disservice to this country's psyche.

5. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Firing squad is a quick, easy and cheap alternative.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd assume he's just trying to get a rise out of us. If he were serious about it, he'd put forward a sustainable argument.

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Pretty sure they still use the firing squad in Utah.

Maybe we should go to incinerators as a means of executing people? Kinda hard to feel pain when your body is vaporized in a second or two.

8. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

According to this wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Bailey) the last person to be hanged was in 1996 in Deleware... I assumed hanging was banned in the U.S. a long time ago.:confused: If I were to be executed in the United States, I think hanging would be the last way I'd want to go. If I commit murder, I'll be sure to stay in Rhode Island, Mass, or Vermont. ;)

9. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No, hanging was on the books in Washington state as recently as a few years ago... I believe death row inmates had the choice of hanging or lethal injection. Hanging may have been recently removed as an option because of a situation where a death row inmate purposely gained a huge amount of weight and then chose hanging, so that his attorney could then argue that hanging would be cruel and unusual punishment (since it's likely he'd be decapitated during the hanging process). I think they eliminated hanging as an option to prevent this legal argument from being used.

10. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

How exactly do you gain a huge amount of weight as an immate? Don't they regulate your food?

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Even on death row, prisoners are usually allowed access to prison commissaries... they can earn money themselves (by working in prison laundries, for example), or outsiders can deposit a limited amount of money into their accounts each month. Typically, they use this sort of thing to get shaving supplies, snacks, and other small luxuries. In this guy's case, my understanding is that he proceeded to load up on fatty snack foods and stopped exercising... and there was nothing they could do about it.

12. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

Well he is in prison. They could refuse to take his money or only offer him healthy alternatives.

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Maybe not:

Carried out carefully and humanely, using an accurately measured drop and modern noose, hanging is possibly the least cruel way to execute a criminal. In 20th century Britain, the whole process was over extremely quickly and every effort was made to reduce the criminal's mental and physical suffering.

Execution by lethal injection takes much longer than any other method - often up to 45 minutes for the complete process of which the prisoner is fully conscious for 35-40 of those minutes (remember that in Britain a 20th century hanging took, typically 10-20 seconds to carry out). This duration must subject the prisoner to far more mental torture because they know they are being prepared for and being put to death. Lethal injection is clearly much less dramatic than hanging and, therefore, probably easier for the staff and witnesses to cope with. It is suitable for both sexes and all ages of prisoners where a suitable vein can be located. However, there is often a problem where the prisoner has been an intravenous drug user or simply has small veins which tend to contract even further when they are frightened.

http://www.richard.clark32.btinternet.co.uk/hanging2.html

14. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I don't think they can legally do that.

15. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Sure they can - They're doing that at public schools. ;)

16. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Kalns, the guillotine is the quickest method. :D

17. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

And probably if they could see the pain and agony of the executed man's victims they would be mad that he got off as easy as he did.

18. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

So it's all about revenge, is it? I thought it was supposed to be about justice?

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I'd like to think we're more compassionate than a murderer. He's there because he didn't see the value in human life. Preferably, the rest of us should. I'm torn about the whole death penalty thing, especially if we think about how many innocent people we wind up putting to death. I'll admit, sometimes I think someone should just die, but when it comes to actually killing them, I wonder if that's the best thing for societies to do. Not that I'm against it completely, or any punishments for that matter, in case anyone wants to go there.

Waiting for this to devolve into one of those types of threads, I see it coming already.