Broadband for macs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hal, Sep 21, 2006.

1. hal macrumors newbie

Sep 21, 2006
    I'm new so I wasn't sure where to post this question.
    I live in the uk, and just received my first mac the shiny 20" iMac, i'm on dialup on my old p.c. and want to now get broadband for the mac any :confused: ?
  2. iCol macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2006
    London, UK
    Hello there!

I would recommend either Telewest or NTL. Depending on which one is in your area. In my experiense, a cable broadband us much more reliable and will give you a constant speed, as it doesn't depend on living near a BT exchange etc.. But be warned. NTL customer service is s**t! Once installed you are good to go.

Good luck!

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You'll be able to use most ISPs - although they won't all give you decent support.

The key thing that you'll want is an ISP that provides a modem/wireless router that has an ethernet port rather than just USB ones. The USB drivers can be a little temperamental particularly if there's an OS X update. If your ISP doesn't provide an ethernet based modem/router, you could still sign up and just buy one that does.
  4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Do you want cable or ADSL?

Off the top of my head virtually all ISP's work with a Mac, including Orange, Demon and NTL. If you buy a router you should have no problems, though the supplied equipment will probably work fine, ask the company before you order to confirm.
  5. iCol macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2006
    London, UK
    I agree with Applespider. Make sure it's Ethernet. I use NTL's Ethernet modem through my Airport Base Station and have had no problems. I previously had the same set up through Telewest, but that was at another address.
  6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    I use Telewest and couldnt be more happier. There are cheaper alternatives but ALL of them are capped and require a BT phone. 2 things I dont agree with. Im on 4mb line and last night was reaching over 2mb downloads from ITMS lastnight. Took about 5 minutes to download 18 tracks. It comes with ethernet jacks instead of stupid USB crap too.
  7. Ripmax2000 macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2005
    As far as I'm aware, AOL won't work as they use their own software which only works with Macs on dial-up. Any other ISP is fine, but like the other posters have said, make sure you specify that you want either an ethernet, or wireless modem.
    Once you have that you're fine, there are no drivers to worry about so whoever you go for will work.
    If you go to you will find a list of the broadband companies in the UK and what their prices are. You can also see on that site what the aftersales are like for the various companies.
    Good luck.
  8. a456 macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2005

Tiscali works well, although their ability to keep you updated (or know their own timetable) when you change address or have Broadband first set up can be annoying - this doesn't mean its slow you just won't know until you've actually got it when you're going to have it.
  9. irbdavid macrumors regular

Mar 27, 2006
    My £0.02:

I just ended a contract with Pipex, and switched to Demon. Pipex were great, but too expensive. When I cancelled the contract (after the 12month period had expired), they charged me almost £200 pounds without warning or explanation. I have yet to get it back after 10 weeks, and they have been singularly awful at replying to emails and discussing this over the phone. I'm now having to pursue them through the independent arbitrators.

As much as can be expected, Demon have been helpful in the matter, and the Internet provision with them is just as good, but almost half the price I was paying with Pipex

Moral of the story:

1)I advise against going with Pipex
    2)Pay by direct debit - this gives YOU far more control at the end: When you cancel your contract, cancel the direct debit, and instruct your bank that they shouldn't allow the ISP to take money from your account without your explicit authorisation.

Also, bandwidth limited services should be a last resort...

EDIT: Both Demon and Pipex supposedly offer support for Mac Users, but I've never had a need to test this. I've always found it more reliable to use a router with a modem built in than a USB modem, especially on a Mac. Takes all the business of connecting to the net out of the hands of the Mac / PC