Broadband in the UK

Discussion in 'Community' started by Wes, Jun 17, 2002.

1. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Does anybody in the Uk have tips about getting cable or adsl? I was thinkign of getting cable but NTL or Telewest could go bust at anytime leaving me robbed of loads of money? One thing that confuses me is a microfilter?! What the heck is that?

Wes

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm with Telewest Blueyonder and have been for over a year now, it's very good.
    Speed is currently 512K but they are testing 1Mb as we speak, as far as I know Telewest as a company are doing ok, it's NTL that are in real trouble.
    I really would reccomend Blueyonder! :D

3. Wes thread starter macrumors 68020

Wes

Thanx for the Help, I'll give them a try, by the way how much are you paying? Do they have mac os x support?

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I pay £25 per month because my family also subscribe to other Telewest services, telephone & TV, but it's not much more if you ONLY want the broadband.
    Check out their website www.blueyonder.co.uk for pricing information, availability and compatibility.

5. iGav macrumors G3

I'd love BB connection.... but I don't have my own place at the moment so I'm making heavy use of my TiBooks modem until I can finally sort out my dream loft appartment and commit to that 12 month contract..... :)

BT have really screwed up there deployment of cheap and reliable ADSL, and other companies are suffering because of it...... at least OFTEL have finally stepped in... now maybe we'll start seeing some decent services like the rest of the developed world......

Blueyonder are currently doing a 3 month trial for £14.99 for BB connection..... I'd check that out..... then at the end of the 3 months you can either change companies or stick with Blueyonder and pay the standard monthly rate..... I think this is a good deal personally.....

NTL are in alot of trouble....... as well as not installing any new lines at the moment and thus not enabling new areas..... my mum lives about 200 yards from NTL HQ in Coventry and she can't even get NTL......... they suck....... :rolleyes: