Broadband modem for Intel Imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Aeronautical, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Aeronautical macrumors member

Hello. I've just signed up for TalkTAlk's free broadband deal but then read in the small print that the recommended modem doesn't support Intel Macs. So I'm probably going to buy the Huawei SmartAX MT882 modem from them instead, but before I do does anybody know of any other broadband modems compatible with Intel Macs?

Ideally I'd like one with more than one ethernet port so i can connect up an old powerbook running OS 9 as well to share the connetion. I'm not keen on using the usb port to connect as I've picked up from reading around on the forums that an ethernet connection from the modem to the computer is more reliable.

2. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

well, there are different kinds of modems.

dsl or Cable.

Either one has many different models. you could try a electronics store that sells them. or research online.

most of the time these formats are settled standards. so once you know what kind of modem you need. any one will do from that format

3. Aeronautical thread starter macrumors member

Thanks mdntcallr. It's an ADSL modem that I'll need, of which I can find literally hundreds. It's easy to find them to support Mac OS9- OS X, but I can barely find a mention of Intel Macs in the list of supported systems. It it safe to assume that like most hardware newer modems are Power PC and Intel compatible?

4. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

only the thing you need to worry 'bout is the system support if it says Mac OS X supported then you're 'Golden' :eek:

5. Aeronautical thread starter macrumors member