Broadband recommendations for the UK

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by britboy, Oct 28, 2002.

1. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

(Finally :rolleyes: ) I'll be moving to a new flat in London. What i'm hoping to do is get signed up to some broadband service or other (not overly fussy which, apart from staying away from aol and freeserve....). Who would you suggest i go with? I'll be connecting via a tibook running OS X, and a couple of windows computers (set up in a LAN).

Cheers in advance!
    Britboy

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Pipex

Cheap, no hassle and don't mind if you attach it to a LAN and share the connection. Have had a few stability problems but that is getting much better too.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

If you have Telewest Cable in your area then their 1Mb Cable service (called Blueyonder) is GREAT! I've been with Blueyonder since their 512k service and upgraded to the 1Mb service as soon as it became avaliable. It's 256k upstream and 1024k downstream.

4. britboy thread starter macrumors 68030

britboy

Sounds like a few good starting points. What are they like for support, pricing, user ratios etc?

Whilst a 1Mb connection would be rather nice, as a student i can't realistically afford more than £30 a month. Shame......:(

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Blueyonder!

couldn't go wrong with those guys if you tried.

They actually understate the bandwidth aswell, I regularly get 66 - 80 Kbytes/s download speed with a 512Kbit cable connection that should be limited to 64Kbytes/s.

The Mbit version is meant to be just as understated aswell, 2 of my friends have upgraded to it recently, not sure it's worth another £10 a month for double the bandwidth until it's time for another macworld video stream myself.

6. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Re: Pipex

I'm a fellow pipex user ;-) Do you know if they are thinking of going 1mbit soon?

7. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I suggest you go with Blueyonder (Telewest). However, if you are not in a blueyonder area go with NTL. NTL gives you a 612kps connection instead of a 512kps from Blueyonder. That extra bit of speed may be useful to you.

8. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

NTL and Blueyonder have the cables down my street but are both so close to bankruptcy that they can not afford to put the cables up the building.

9. britboy thread starter macrumors 68030

britboy

Do you think that either of them are likely to be going under soon? Perhaps it'd be best to not get a contract with them if that's the case (and yes, if numerous people had the same attitude, then of course they'd go out of business :rolleyes: )