Broadband router(firewall) recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MacVault, Mar 7, 2006.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2002
    Planet Earth
    I have my ibook directly connected to my Charter cable connection. I use to have an older Linksys wireless router but gave it to a friend a while back. Now I need to get something between Charter and my iBook. I'm mostly need the firewall feature, but wireless would be nice too. I read reviews of Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, etc. and they all seem to have good and bad reviews. So, what would you guys recommend? A real secure firewall is my main interest but the following would be nice too...

Wireless (at least 802.11g) with WPA2 or later security spec.
    4+ port Gigabit LAN switch.
    SIP & NAT firewall
    VPN Passthrough

Any recommendations?
  2. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    I've never had any problems with any of my linksys wireless routers. Looking over your list of requirements, the only thing that you will have problems finding is a small broadband router that sports Gigabit switching.

Some of the "gaming" routers are starting to support gigabit switching but then they are being marketed as specialized products with appropriately high prices.
  3. andrew050703 macrumors regular

Feb 27, 2006
    Portsmouth, U.K
    Yes, i'd also be interested. gigabit not a must, but i'd need an adsl modem wireless router. Have looked at netgear, speedtouch and belkin - they start at £50 though (around $87) - is this about right or have i missed something a lot cheaper?
  4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

Sep 19, 2005
    South of the border
    most new name brand routers do all this stuff now. I have a Netgear Rangemax, which is currently serving me a lot better than the generic i had before. It wasn't all that cheap, but it's range is great and it copes with interference very well. Not Gigabit tho.
  5. mrichmon macrumors 6502a

Jun 17, 2003
    That sounds about right for the UK. I tried shopping in London for a wifi broadband router for a UK friend and was horrified at the prices. I expect to pay about US$50 for a Linksys WRT54GS. Looking at that router is listed for £48.