Broadband Sharing Questions

Discussion in 'Community' started by gjg554, Jun 11, 2004.

1. gjg554 macrumors newbie

I currently have a wireless home network set up connecting 4 computers, which share a Bellsouth DSL connection which I purchased a few years ago. I am using a linksys wireless accesspoint/router. Now I am planning to move to a new house and was looking into cable (ie. Comcast, Charter). Comcast is charging a large fee to have your home networked. They provide the routers, etc. which I already have. From what I read you are forced to do this if you want to network. Bellsouth is now also charging a monthy fee for multiple Ips. I do not understand this. Right now I am not paying for multiple Ips in my house. Is this necessary to share a connection now. If I don't purchase these multiple Ips will I not be allowed to share it. Cant the router just split the connection. Please help me

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm a Comcast customer in the Boston area. I have a LinkSys cable modem, LinkSys router, and LinkSys WAP (the last two combine to your single WAP/router). The router plugs into the cable modem and then, via DHCP, sets up the other systems. I have only one "real" IP address. ComCast needn't know or care how many systems are on the other side of the LinkSys router.

I'm sure this is true for any vendor. I just happen to use LinkSys because it's what I bought first and the other later components stack nicely. I have never had a problem with Comcast over this. If you're concerned, have only one system connected when you first set up the network. Add the others once the "spice is flowing", as it were.

Best of luck to you. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

3. gjg554 thread starter macrumors newbie

Which would be the better choice. Comcast 3Mbps or Bellsouth 3Mbps. disregarding upload time and price difference. Which is recommended and which will actually be faster.

Also will the router take away the need for multiple Ips with all services.

4. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Comcast, and any other broadband provider who offers to "help" set up your home network and charge you extra for it, is capitalizing on all the many, many people who don't know any better. Unless you're actually paying for static IP addresses, the router they'll give you is the same as the router you already have, and it'll do exactly the same thing: take the one dynamic IP address your broadband provider is giving you, and share it between your networked computers.

I've got Verizon DSL, and they say that home networking is extra, and will sell you the router and give you setup help, etc. But I set up my AirPort network on my own, they know nothing about it, and it works fine.

So, if you've already got a router, and you've already set up your network, you should be completely good to go.

5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Bellsouth allows you to share a single connection even without signing up for their networking package. However, if you need support for your network, they wont help you unless you're signed up for the home networking package. This is no big deal if you already have the networking equipment and know how to use it. Comcast probably has a similar policy, but check their terms & conditions to be sure.

6. gjg554 thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Peyote macrumors 6502a

Peyote

You do not need to pay for more than one IP with Comcast. As long as you use a router in front of your computers, they only see one IP address. And this is perfectly legal because I called them and asked that specific question. The only time you have to pay for more than one IP is if you want more than one, or have seperate connections through your house that don't run through a router.

I'm using Comcast for this exact same thing as you, and you won't have a problem either. In fact, I switched from DSL just like you. At the same time I switched, I bought a replacement router (same model). All you have to do is hook up your router to your cable modem, plug in your cable modem provided by Comcast, let it boot up and get an address from your router, then connect your computers to your router. You then have to do some wonky ass registration crap, which I had a little trouble with, but it's not a big deal. As soon as I was registered I hooked up my iMac and instantly had internet access. I love how easy it is with Macs. funny how the Wintel world came up with the phrase "plug and play" and yet can't seem to get a handle on implementing it!

8. gjg554 thread starter macrumors newbie

9. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Thanks for asking the question. I was wondering much the same thing. I might go buy an Airport Express now.

10. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Charter doesn't care about my office network. We have 19 Macs fed from a single dynamic IP, through an airport base station, all for 55 bucks a month. It's the Mac hating, redneck installation goons that you have to worry about.

The guys that came to do my install were so rude that I almost threw them out on two different occasions. They come in pares, one guy to screw the cable into the cable modem, and another guy to sit in front of your Mac and act as if he is installing some kind of magical software that allows your computer to use the internet "properly". The guy sat there and cursed my Mac for five minutes while he attempted to install said software, and then proceeded to tell me that my POS Mac was "broke". I told him it was not broken, it just doesn't run windows applications, He told me that I was an idiot, and that ALL computers run windows, even macs. Before leaving he told me that obviously Mac's cant "surf" the net, and that their was nothing he could do, I was SOL. Of course being that we use 10.3 the computer had been connected the entire time, he was just too stupid to open up a browser.

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I was told the same thing by Earthlink... and wondered about it myself. I haven't tried to share my service because of it, but now I might. Thanks for asking the question. I learn a lot by just browsing what others are asking.

12. winwintoo macrumors 6502

The only thing you might have a problem with is if you need to use a product like Timbuktu to troubleshoot a computer that is inside your own network. Timbuktu only registers the IP that is connected to the outside network and doesn't know about the inside network. Small thing, not a problem for many and it's easily resolved, but it got me when I didn't expect it.

m

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I have the Bellsouth DSL Xtreme and I share it just fine with a Linksys wireless router. Just because you don't pay them doesn't mean it won't work. The only difference is that when you pay the fee they give you the DSL model that has the built in 802.11b. I opted not to pay per month when I already have a router and I don't see the point in paying for something that would normally be free while being forced to use B instead of G.

Not sure about Comcast, but Bellsouth seems to be a whole lot faster than Roadrunner's 3 mbps cable here in Florida. My friend has it and I consistently have lower ping times and much better downstream by at least 100 kbps. I don't think it's all that bad considering it's only $5 more per month than cable.

14. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    They blow... at least where I live. Took them 3 months to cancel my account. :p
    But they dont seem to care if you're sharing a connection.

15. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

One tip... I htink earthlink detects different MAC address or something, im not sure, but they used to know if a different computer was using the line, and would ask for to release the connection to the computer currently trying to access the net.

What I did was have the router use the MAC of one of the PC's, and it stopped asking for each computer to be authorized each time.

16. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Isn't a good Router wonderful?! :D

Sushi

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

One IP with DHCP via a Router is fine in most cases. No need to pay for extra IPs.

What they are trying to get you to use is a Static IP like businesses tend to use. No need for this in your home network unless you need outside access.

Sushi

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Sorry to hear about your wonderful experience! :(

Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm among Windows users who have never experienced/used a Mac.

Sushi

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well, at least you now have a GREAT anecdote.