Broadband speeds

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by nesbitt_a, Jun 2, 2004.

1. macrumors 6502

Guys, need some advice. I'm sharing in a flat of 4 guys next year at university, my powerbook, windows laptop, and two windows desktops. We're gonna be running a wireless network - and have been offered broadband at 750k, 1.5mb and 3mb.

Any ideas?

2. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Get whatever you feel is the best value, since you are sharing the connection, I assume you are sharing the bill :D

Get a router as well, if you don't already have one. Easiest way to share the connection.

What other ideas are you looking for?

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

We'll probably go for the 1.5mb. Seems to be best value. We have the router etc all sorted.

Cheers.

4. macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

yes. get the highest speed you can since 4 will be using it. I have a 5mb line which I am the only user and it seems slow at times. I say slow meaning 100k and under. I normally get 500+ sometimes even over 600 KB per sec.

about the networking.. I know a group of 4 guys that are roomies together in a house. 3 of them have systems but there are 4 systems. the use a router, ethernet hub and lots of long cables. its a hassle to setup but cheaper and more secure vs wireless. they are all pc and all runs fine.

5. macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    unless you guys are going to be "sharing" large files alot, 750k should be more than enough...