Broadcast your Podcast!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hotwire132002, Aug 28, 2006.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

For those of you with video podcasts...

I'm (now) in charge of programming at our public access station. Considering that our station is severely lacking in content (as very few people locally have any interest in starting their own TV show, and we have 24 hours per day to fill) I've been seeking innovative new ways to bring in programming.

So... to the internet! :D

I've already put together two shows to air -- the TWiT.tv video podcast (hosted by a variety of former TechTV personalities) and the MacBreak podcast from the same authors. If you have a "clean" video podcast (meaning no profanity, swearing, etc. -- it should be family friendly) and would be willing to let us broadcast it via cable TV, post here, PM me, or email me at ewotila@tv2and98.org.

Thanks in advance for any interest!

2. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

If you so feel, check my signature for my podcast - PreviewCast it's quite the show :).

3. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Cool -- I'll check it in the morning (as I'm downloading a bunch of MacBreak and TWiT.tv podcasts right now and yours ended up at the bottom of my download que)

One question, though -- do you plan to do regular video podcasts, or stick with audio most of the time? Just curious -- obviously, being TV, video works better for us, but if an audio podcast has good content we can certainly work with it! :)

And thanks again for your interest. I'll post again in the morning! =)

4. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I checked out your podcast this morning -- it looks to have some decent content. How often to you plan to put together video editions? That will be key to getting it on air.

5. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Thanks :) - I'll talk to Douglas and see if he wants to do more video versions more often now that Skype does video and we've kinda switched to that.

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Sounds good - just let me know and we can go from there.

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

We've (Nintendo Players staff) been planning to start a podcast by the end of September, might the offer still be open?

8. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Almost definitely -- just let me know when you get it going and we can go from there. =)

9. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

I talked to Douglas and here's what he said:

Let me know what you want to do from here.

10. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I'm thinking we wait to put your podcast on air -- not that it won't happen eventually, but regular video would be a plus. Also, I ended up with a huge (and largely unexpected) project that was given to me today, so I may have to wait to expand our content very much. I can't go in to the details of the new project just yet, but it's really going to improve our station in the long run -- despite hogging our resources in the short term.

Anyway -- stay in touch. I'd certainly like to work with you to get your podcast on air eventually, especially if you ever begin shooting video regularly.

11. webmacster87 macrumors newbie

Main reasons for not being able to do this are that we record on Sunday afternoons (depending on if my teachers haven't overloaded me with homework for the weekend) and I don't have the time to edit a video podcast weekly. The other reason is that a few things became clear from S02E004 (our first video edition): the quality of the iChat video over our connections is quite bad (unless Skype has some good video solution), and a 1.5 GHz Core Solo is too slow of a processor to be able to compress video podcasts into a nice 320x240 iPod-ready format in decent time.

So, maybe as time goes on a deal like this will be feasible, but it doesn't look like the present time is good.

12. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Our intention is for our podcast to be weekly, hopefully we can keep up with the schedule :) I'm waiting for the next iMac and/or MacBook update to purchase (one or both should get Core 2 Duo this month), at which point I'll have the hardware I need for handling the video. I'm Macless at the moment :(

Also, can anyone tell me how the iSight camera works for podcasts? I do have a higher quality camera in the house, but it's USB and not compatible with iChat, so less convenient. If the iSight quality sucks I'll use the camera though.

P.S., hotwire132002, your site makes me look bad :( I thought I was doing well as the youngest reporter at E3 '06 this year, but you've got me beat :D Nice work!

13. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I haven't used the built-in iSight on my MBP for podcasting, but I have used it in iChat -- the quality is very good, it really surprised me.

Thanks for the compliments! :)

14. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

The quality in iChat is pretty damn good too! I was used to MSN, which literally had maybe 1FPS, and it was INCREDIBLY compressed.

iChat + AIM is amazing. I generally see other people very clearly, not a HUGE amount of compression, and it's VERY fluid...

15. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

What kind of length are you expecting out of a podcast?

16. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Anything 8-28 minutes is ideal. For instance, the MacBreak podcasts vary from 6-32 minutes. However, the content doesn't get dated very quickly, so I can pair up a couple editions to fill a half hour time block.