Broadwell CPU Delay and iPad Competition May Reduce 2014 Notebook Shipments

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

Industry-wide notebook shipments will continue to decline in 2014, claims NPD DisplaySearch. Revised estimates predict shipments from all vendors, including Apple, will reach 134 million units, down from an earlier estimate of 152 million unit.

One factor contributing to this decline is the expected Q3 2014 launch of Intel's upcoming Broadwell CPU. Intel confirmed in its latest earnings conference call that its Broadwell chipset will enter production in Q1 2014 and become available in the second half of 2014. Slowing PC demand and yield issues forced Intel to delay Broadwell by at least a quarter from its original timetable, with that delay likely contributing further weakness in the PC market. Intel's Haswell processor line, the company's current CPU family and predecessor to Broadwell, was released in June 2013 and landed in the MacBook Air during the same month.

DisplaySearch also cites the rumored 12.9-inch iPad, wearables and the convergence of mobile and desktop operating systems as market forces that could shift consumers away from notebook PCs.
    Despite a declining market, Mac sales in the just-ending quarter were strong, increasing from 4.06 million units in Q1 2013 to 4.8 million in Q1 2014. Mac net sales accounted for 11% of the company's revenue for the quarter, up slightly from 10% a year ago.

Article Link: Broadwell CPU Delay and iPad Competition May Reduce 2014 Notebook Shipments
  2. macrumors 68020

May 28, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
  3. macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2007
    What is coming next, Broadwell or a Haswell refresh? I've heard both, and it's a bit confusing. Hope this doesn't affect possible laptop refreshes at WWDC.
  4. macrumors 65816

Nov 21, 2010
    Broadwell. This will probably effect the refresh.
  5. macrumors G4

Mar 24, 2006
    Glad i jumped on Haswell rather than waiting.
  6. macrumors 6502

Aug 31, 2010
    In the meantime, give the Mac Mini some Haswell love Apple!
  7. macrumors 68020

Mar 24, 2010
    yes please...

Yup, c'mon with the Mini update.

And should the MBA go retina whenever Broadwell hits, I may pick up one of those up too if the price, weight and battery life do not change.
  8. macrumors member

Oct 7, 2013
    Haswell refresh for desktops and Broadwell for mobile. Though there are also newer mobile Haswell processors with minor spec bumps.
  9. macrumors member

Aug 14, 2013
    0 Infinite Loop
    The Intel announced delay in November is exactly why I bought a Haswell rMBP. My brand new iMac was a great steal, but you still need portability. Probably will be October for whole line, though only MBA will probably get a full makeover.
  10. macrumors 68000

Oct 1, 2004
    Mountains of Vermont
    Ideally, in the long term, hardware should be a declining and then stabilized market. Apple should produce just enough for new users and to replace the infrequently lost or broken units. Hardware should be real-world-rugged enough to last for decades like my iron skillet and then only the firmware updates, operating system system updates (subscription revenue for Apple), applications and content (e.g., music, video, books, etc) is where the sales are. This is a good ecological solution.
  11. macrumors 604

Sep 23, 2003
    So this article says that declining PC sales caused the chip delay and the chip delay is causing PC sales. Am I the only one who smells something fishy about that?
  12. macrumors 68020

Aug 31, 2003
    Wherever my feet take me…
    Does anyone know if Broadwell will bring any major new features, or will it just be the regular slightly faster updates?

I just bought a Haswell rMBP. If there's a big enough difference, I might sell it & buy the Broadwell rMBP when it comes out.
  13. macrumors 603

Jun 7, 2011
  14. macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2002
    Middle Earth
    Buried next to Apple Lisa in Utah I suppose. :p
  15. macrumors 65816

Mar 27, 2011
    I bought the Ivy Bridge revision of the 13" rMBP that was released in Feb. 2013, which I'm very happy with. I think I'll skip Broadwell and look at whatever they come out with next (is it still "Skylake"?) At this rate, that probably won't be until early 2017.
  16. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    I guess this means no 11.85" Retina MacBook Air before July/August. Apple would probably want the Broadwell GPU and lower power requirements to power the screen without requiring a humongous battery like the rMBP.
  17. macrumors regular

What on earth are they talking about. Has something happened in the last twelve months that I've missed? :eek:
  18. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Mar 2, 2010
    You mean probably Broadwell, because Haswell is a very old platform.
  19. macrumors G3

Aug 3, 2011
    It's Never A Good Night To Have A Curse
    From what I know of it, Broadwell is all about the GPU. In Intel's words, it's supposed to do for them what Haswell did for battery life.

If you think the Iris Pros in the current MBPs are a little too slow for whatever you're doing, it might be worth keeping an eye out on.
  20. macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

Jan 7, 2006
    Skylake should be late 2015 or early 2016. I'm waiting for that as well.
  21. macrumors 68000

Cuban Missles

Dec 6, 2012
    My heart is in Camagüey, the rest in the USA
    A while back there was rumors of Apple looking to switch to ARM for the Macs. Given this delay, I wonder if Apple has been thinking about this or even working on a prototype (just in case). The A7 along with the M7 seems to be doing pretty well for the ipad and iphone. With an A/M8 and the expected bump in performance, I would not be surprised if that chip set could handle OSX.

Has anyone heard any news about OSX on ARM lately?
  22. macrumors 68000

Aug 23, 2011
    Intel is bad news...unstable company.....lack of confidence...not my type of processor company.
  23. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Mar 2, 2010
    Yeah, they call it iOS 7.
  24. macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2007
    One thing is sure, every year around this time I read about their delays... Seems it's become mandatory.
  25. macrumors 68000

Aug 23, 2011
    mandatory for what reason? I'm appalled how they call themselves "intel" when they're "dumb."