Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2014
The "pics or it didn't happen" sentence is so pathetic. Not everyone is going to take a picture of every damn thing and if you think that then you're mistaken.

jetlagged

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2012
I use the spigen case tough armor and a tempered glass screen protector for my iPhone SE. I dropped it a few times and not a scratch and no damage to the screen. Eventually the tempered glass screen protector will crack if dropped too many times, but the main screen will be fine

I don't think I can go naked with my iPhone ever.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
Oh wow I JUST posted this about one hour ago in another thread and you hit two of the issues I addressed, I don't know if you had a case or not on your phone but your luck the last two days has been horrible. Sorry to hear about the issues but at least your phone is fixed again!

From the other thread -

I always keep my iPhones naked and I've never had an issue, you just have to think about your phone before you use it and you shouldn't have any issues besides tripping or if you're doing something that can cause issues (exercise, etc). Whenever I tired to use cases they seemed to trap dirt, sand, little particles and so on which look nasty and probably leaves little to big scratches on the phone.

Just be intelligent about using your phone naked:

1. Don't put it somewhere with ANYTHING else, I use my front right pocket with nothing in it. I don't care how good the new Gorilla glass is or what special coating is on it, etc. Just keep it alone so nothing besides the inside of your pants pockets, purse, etc can rub up against it.

2. Be careful when getting in and out of your car, this seems to be one of the biggest issues that people have when dropping their phone. Just pay attention its simple and if you have something in your hands then stop...put the stuff down...put your phone in your pocket...then continue and get in your vehicle.

3. When you lay your phone down just look at where you plan to lay it, very simple. When you have a case you tend to just put your phone on the counter, table, etc but when you go naked you have to look first and a quick brush with your hand to clean any crumbs away is enough.

4. If your hands are wet, if you just put on lotion, have something on your hands (sauce, oil, butter, etc) or if your hands aren't dry then think first before handling your phone because it will more than likely slip out and bounce off the ground.

Actually, Apple's slippery design has accomplished what they set out to do. Drive repairs. There is NO reason why Apple is still releasing phones that are this slippery. And the one version that appears better (JB) is a fingerprint and scratch magnet. This is not something I would expect from a so-called design expert.

To the OP, put a glass curved 3d protector or your phones. They are about $11 to $15. You just spent $187 ($129+$29+$29) and have no more accidental damage claims.

Omega V

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2016
Las Vegas, Nevada
Actually, Apple's slippery design has accomplished what they set out to do. Drive repairs. There is NO reason why Apple is still releasing phones that are this slippery. And the one version that appears better (JB) is a fingerprint and scratch magnet. This is not something I would expect from a so-called design expert.

To the OP, put a glass curved 3d protector or your phones. They are about $11 to $15. You just spent $187 ($129+$29+$29) and have no more accidental damage claims.

I don't believe Apple makes their phones anymore slippery (by design or finish) than other cellular phone manufactures, like I stated I've used all my iPhones naked (no screen protector or case) and I've never had an issue so far. Accidents can happen with a case on your phone and without a case on your phone. I've seen people drop their phone without a case with no issues and people with a screen protector or case dropped their phone and it gets damaged. It just depends on the situation, height of drop, what the phone was dropped on, etc.

I don't think the Jet Black phone is any different in general because the back of the phone would have the same amount of fingerprints as the front on any model that has a black face. I wipe off the front of my black/silver 6s Plus once in awhile so I doubt it will be any different because the back is shiny black. I used both the 3G and 3GS which was shiny black on the back without too many fingerprint issues.

Saying it's a scratch magnet again just depends on the person, if you look at my questions #1 and #3 of my post that you replied to you will see how easy it is to avoid scratches. I know a few anal people that like to hold their phone right up to their nose and angle it so light hits it at the perfect angle to see little scratches and that's just crazy to me. There is a thread on here that talks about people who own the Jet Black color and they aren't having any issues.

I worked at AT&T as a sales representative in a corporate store for 7 years and I never liked advising screen protectors. The majority of them would collect dirty, looked nasty within a month and at the end of the day didn't do much. We only pushed them to customers because it helped with meeting our sales per opportunity goals and accessory revenue quota. Screen protectors make people feel better but nothing more in my personal opinion, I've never used one and ALL of my iPhones have looked amazing once I moved to a new device.

You may not like how Apple's new Jet Black color shows fingerprints or may show more scratches depending on how you use your device but to say Apple is designing their phones in a way to "drive repairs" as you put it just sounds very unintelligent on your part. Also I don't remember Apple ever saying they were "design-experts" but I have heard other people/parties saying that about some of their products. Say negative things about a product that are valid...just being upset about the finish or design is subjective and a personal opinion. That doesn't mean Apple is designing products in their research and development labs while rubbing their hands together saying "we are going to have so many customers that drop their device which means Apple will get even richer from all of the AppleCare+ repairs"...come on

Last edited:
Reactions: smirking

smirking

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Silicon Valley
I broke my 7+ screen about 24 hours after I got it

The first thing I did when I got my iPhone7 was drop it. I fumbled it while trying to take the plastic covering that's stuck to both sides of the glass. I didn't think the plastic film was one continuous sheet so when the film didn't give away after I pulled it all the way across, it jerked it out of my hand and flipped it toward the floor.

Luckily, it didn't hit anything hard on the way down and landed on carpet. I've dropped plenty of iPhones, but I have yet to crack the screen. I guess I'm just lucky and I guess it's a good thing because I don't want to carry around a bulky case.

stulaw11

Suspended
Jan 25, 2012

Oh boy here we go with conspiracy theories. It's Apple's fault now people are klutzes.

Then I guess the Note 7/Galaxy S7 (and Edge) are even worse as Samsung's fault because they are slick glass on both sides. As is every all glass or glass/aluminum device out there.

People need to take responsibility for their own actions. A big wide glass slab is not going to withstand hitting hard rock, concrete or metal without potential to crack. Pure physics of it.

Blaming someone else for an accident solely caused by one's self is the 16 year old response to an accident.

Reactions: Omega V

rawlus

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2009
Boston
I think not everyone is cut out to have nice things, and maybe need a more durable, plastic flip phone or something.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Similar thing happened to my daughter. Dropped, cracked screen. Got it repaired. Exactly one week later... dropped, cracked screen.

In her defense, the second drop wasn't entirely her fault.

Reactions: Fthree
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.