Broke out the Mr Clean - why'd I wait???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TraceyS/FL, Feb 26, 2007.

1. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

My left Palm rest on my iBook was gross. Just the left! LOL!!

So i finally got up and got the Mr Clean out of the cabinet. OK. Well, 2 seconds later.... all pretty!!!

Not sure why i waited - now i'd love to have letters on my keyboard. But i'm sure that is asking WAYYYYY too much.

:D

2. dreamfocused macrumors member

dreamfocused

some keys on my previous iBook got rubbed off... that's why i bought an Apple Keyboard to use with my MBP... totally worth it...:apple:

3. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

Only works when you have a "desk" to use it with :D

I haven't heard of the MBP's having the same issue - i don't think the letters are "painted on" like the iBooks where - they are raised, i can feel them when i type.

I won't have a desk when i ever get a new one either - not for awhile anyway.....

4. dvader macrumors regular

Isn't it true that you should be cleaning your monitor with just any old cleaning substance? I know you're talking about keyboard, but since we're on the cleaning issue, I thought I'd ask.

Anyway, cleaning with just any old liquid will rub off some special coating that the lcd put onto their screens. This must be especially true for those with glossy displays, but I'm sure it might apply to those who own the matte displays as well.

5. TraceyS/FL thread starter macrumors 68040

I've only ever used LCD cleaner - i had some spray stuff, then the Monster iClean from teh Apple store. I really really like the Monster stuff the best!

6. emac82 macrumors 6502

Monster Cleaner is the best!! It will last forever!

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

see this Apple support article on cleaning plastics on your Mac.

8. phidauex macrumors member

Just to be clear, the Mr. Clean product he is talking about is the Magic Eraser. Its pretty good stuff, but you've got to be clear on how it works.

It is an open cell foam with micro-abrasive properties. You use it by soaking it in water, wringing out the water, and then wiping stuff down. It is incredibly effective on scum and scuffs and things. I use one around the house all the time.

There are no chemicals involved besides water, which is needs very little of to work. Sometimes you'll notice a whitish sheen afterwards, which is just some of the foam wearing away as it works. I usually follow up with a wipe with a slightly damp cloth to remove the white dust.

Because it is abrasive, it can and will dull shiny surfaces! I would NOT use it on the screen, except in a most extreme case. It will slowly remove the coating, or dull the glossy screens.

It works great, but it scuffs off a tiny layer of whatever you are cleaning. Just be prepared for that, and avoid using it on things with delicate coatings, or glossy surfaces.

peace,
    sam