broke powerbook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dagless, Dec 5, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm posting this on behalf of my mate Anna. She has a 12" Superdrive Powerbook. it was working last night but when she brought it to a lecture it wouldn't boot up.

-we put it into firewire drive mode, all the files could be seen.
    -ran disk utility on it - no problems
    -we reset the power management and the Mac technician (on a side note; the only tech in our building. Macs dont usually need many technicians unlike the PC part of the building. my god they have an army) did a load of things but couldn't get it back on.

Shes taking it into an Apple store tomorrow. does it sound like her computer is busted? My educated guess is that her memory is fried. it gets to the Apple logo+spinny circle thing and just doesn't progress.

Any rev D superdrive PowerBook users experience anything similar?

2. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Your best bet is to repair the permissions at this point. Start up from the install CD and do it from there...there's a good chance that a messed up permission on one key file is preventing the computer from starting up.

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

oh we've done that. forgot to say I booted her HDD up from my machine and it came on perfectly. so my guess is that its a logicboard/memory problem.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Hmm, do you have the hardware test CD? You could run that and give any error codes that it produces to the tech guys at the apple store, it'd probably help them fix it more quickly. You might also try swapping out the memory sticks, to see if one of them is bad and causing the computer to hang like that.

5. opusthe2nd macrumors 6502

opusthe2nd

Mine did that. It was a stick of RAM that went poop.