Brokeback Mountain

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 14, 2005.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'll post this here instead of the Community Forum, so it doesn't get too ugly. I saw this movie in NYC over the weekend and it completely sucked. I was there visiting scem0, who went to the film with me and some friends. He fell asleep on my shoulder. Yes- it was that bad.

This film was insulting, inept and hardly brave. I don't know about you, but I can't remember the last time I had sex with my jeans still mostly on.

I'll quote scem0 too, because he says it all:

"We went and saw Brokeback Mountain along with Lee's friend Philly and Philly's friend Michael, and we all agreed it was horrible. There was no passion, no nothing! Philly said it well when she said "there was more passion between the sheep than between the men". So true. It was very dry.

I also think it misrepresented gay men. I think a lot of people might actually believe that a majority of gay men are fearful of their sexualities, f*** each other in the mountains without intimacy, and marry women to promote a heterosexual image. I don't want anything to do with that movie. I'm not f***ing in the mountains (unless I was camping, that might be sexy, and not because I want to hide anything) because I'm not gonna hide who I am. I'm not gonna use another man, or let another man use me. I'm not gonna deny any attractions I feel, and I'm certainly not gonna marry a woman to make other people think I'm straight!

The love between the main characters was unconvincing. There was nothing there.

I tried to cry during the movie and I couldn't. It was not sad at all.

The movie had a lot of potential, but it was bad. Devoid of intimacy. The cinematography was pretty, that's about it, and it wasn't that pretty. I'd rather see something gritty than pretty anyways.

I was hoping that this would be a movie that showed that gay men are the exact same as straight men. We all just want someone to love us. I was hoping it would make people who are on the border, undecided about how to treat homosexuality, support our side. This movie will not do that, I don't think. It's as if they got two animals to play the lead roles. They lacked intimacy, brains, and any connection."

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

too bad it wasn't better (i've not seen it). it's got some actors i like, plus the normally excellent ang lee directing.

i must comment, however, on the horrible title. the first time i saw the preview, and they brought up the title, i thought "Bareback Mountain." wtf were they thinking?

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Here's the scary thing- I think that most straight people in Middle America will like it. It seems to have been made for them because the homos "get exactly what they deserve". And if you think the title's heavy-handed, you should see one of the last scenes where Heath Ledger ends up in Jake Gyllenhaal's closet at his parent's house. I nearly gagged.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wait, isn't it still the 1950s?

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Only part of the movie. The 2 idiots still couldn't figure it out in the 70's either. Wait- nevermind, I got you! :)

6. iGary Guest

iGary

No desire to see this.

All the good "homosexual issues" movies are foreign or independent.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Oh.. I was being facetious, as a commentary on how I view how straight society sees some of gay society (from the point of view of a straight male). Wheeoo!

I've not seen the film, though I suspect my wife will rent it at some point and I'll end up watching it.

8. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I haven't seen the movie but I did read the book. I think the point is that in the 60s and the 70s, homosexuality was very repressed. Also, they weren't of the Woody Allen "talk till your tongue falls out" milieu. As far as the sex scene, I would imagine that anyone who can't face up to his sexuality probably isn't going to bare all.

By the way, what were you expecting it to be? The reviews have been pretty straightforward about what it is and what it isn't.

9. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I can't imagine that "most straight people" in middle America want "homos to 'get exactly what they deserve". That is certainly not how the trailer is showing the movie. It's being promoted as a love story - or maybe more of a story about lost love. Not - see this movie to see the homos get what they deserve type of thing.

Anyone going to see this movie will most likely be open minded about it being a gay love story because of the way it was promoted. I am dissapointed that you and scem0 disliked it so much because I was looking forward to seeing it. Now it sure doesn't sound like I would enjoy it.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I expected it to be better than garbage I suppose. I know- Hollywood :)

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

But that's how Hollywood covered it's ass. It has to end tragically and badly, so people can moralize about it. And trust me, they will. And to lose love, shouldn't there be some in the first place?

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Ho ho, my friend! You obviously haven't been to Kansas!

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha-ha! Yeah! I haven't. So- are you saying you have? ;)

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Coming soon to your local cinema! :)

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nice. There's a distinct lack of dry humpage in today's cinema. Now if only we could get the uncomfortable kiss of the 1940s back.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Aaah! The rough male kiss of army blankets....:)

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

"Enemy at the Gates" had a great, and very clothed, sex scene in it, IMO.

Anyone here watch South Park? If so, do you think about gay cowboy's eating pudding every time Bareback...er... I mean Brokeback Mountain comes up?

Lethal

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking. I figured some people would be disappointed that this isn't a love story, but it's a shame that it sucks.

I'm also reminded of that Kids in the Hall sketch where those gay guys were disappointed in a similar type of movie. Same reasons.

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, until 'Team America' came out I wouldn't have though puppet love would have to be edited down to keep to to 'just' an R-rating...

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Found this lovely review through Focus on the Family's website. Looks like I was at least partially correct. I found this section particularly interesting:

"Usually it's a negative thing when people give in to the societal norms around them and give up on their dreams, refuse to step across racial divides, etc. But here, Ennis' reluctance to live with Jack is a good example of how established—biblical—morality within a culture can help people make right decisions. (It isn't a pressure so strong that it keeps him from repeatedly having sex with Jack, though.)

In an interview with Plugged In Online, Caleb H. Price, a social research analyst on homosexuality and gender for Focus on the Family, identified several other ways the film, sometimes unwittingly, hints at the dangers of homosexuality. "Contrary to the nearly ubiquitous modern portrayals of homosexuality, in Brokeback Mountain the lifestyle is neither glamorous nor normal and healthy," he said. "We see that each character had root causes to his same-sex attraction. And then we see their God-given desires to be affirmed by members of the same sex met in sinful, ungodly ways. We see the soul ties that come along with carnal relations and the ensuing devastation to wives and marriages when the forbidden fruit is eaten. Also, the film clearly depicts the homosexuality of the characters as bondage. In one scene Jack exclaims profound exasperation that he and Ennis are not able to 'quit' each other. One can't help but wonder what their respective lives might have been like had they poured their energy and attention into their wives, families and careers instead of homosexuality."

Elsewhere, Jack stands up (albeit crudely) for his wife and kids when Lureen's father acts like a bully and undermines his daughter's authority in front of her children."

http://www.pluggedinonline.com/movies/movies/a0002455.cfm

Read the rest of it too. Really quite unbelievable.

22. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

Wow.

I'm really quite stunned at leekohler's criticism of this movie. I saw it the other night and I rather enjoyed it.

The last scene where Ennis says he'll attend his daughters wedding was touching. I think the scene between Ennis and Jack's mom was good. You could see the hatred from the father and the empathy in the mother. The issues going unstated but everyone understood.

I'm insulted by the comment that "Here's the scary thing- I think that most straight people in Middle America will like it. It seems to have been made for them because the homos "get exactly what they deserve".

You sound like an *******. I'd like to understand why you felt the movie was an inaccurate portrayal... if there's something false or bigoted or stereotypical about the film, please point it out... but so far, your complaints seem to be that the story wasn't an open-shut case of two gay men being in love.

:confused:

By the way, the review you quoted is a site run by Focus on the Family, who's stated mission is:

Did you really expect a fair review from a religious group of a movie that shows two men having sex?

23. Lau Guest

I actually quite enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a good, if sad, 'story' and probably well represented the way two cowboys might have to be in the 60s in a small town. And I worry that it probably was the way two cowboys might have to be in a similar small town even now.

However, the fact that people can interpret this as a good thing and write reviews as you quote above, I find totally horrific. :(

24. iGary Guest

iGary

"Societal Norms" is the right's new catch phrase.

25. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Excellent movie. I agree that Lee's review was off the mark, he seemed to want some sanitized version of what homosexuality was in the rural west in the sixties. Life wasn't like that then and for many it's still pretty harsh. Matthew Shepard???

For those of us who did grow up gay, albeit in the 70s for me, in rural parts of the west, it was a way of revisiting the harshness of the era in which we came of age. There were no gay support groups or helplines or even the internet to help us out. There was only what was in our heart and in the homophobia that surrounded us.

I think another part of the movie that was a reminder for me was the role of women. Ennis' wife was stuck with him, Jack's wife could take or leave him. There were a lot of women who paid a big price for their husband's and society's inability to be who they truly were. Living a lie was reality for a lot of women and men in those days.