Broken EyeTV

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kwyjibo, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    So I have a EyeTV 200 and I think over the past day I plugged in firewire cable backwards and this screwed it up I think. I would imagine that is what screwed it up, and it might be a costly mistake. But the device now receives power ( the light turns red) but the computer does not recognize it.

I'm not that technical but I'm wondering if it would be possible to just replace the firewire port. This seems like the mostly likely problem but I don't know if that kind of repair is possible or too cost prohibitive. any ideas or places that might handle this type of thing? I don't want to shell out the full replacement cost if I don't have to.

Have you heard of this repair on other eyetv devices?

2. real_murray macrumors member

Aug 19, 2004

You would have to push pretty darn had to get the firewire cable to go in the wrong way. I seriously doubt that you accomplished this.

I'd do the standard troubleshooting:
    -Reset PRAM (Hold Command + Option + P +R during boot)
    -rest-nvram (Hold Command + Option +O + F during boot, type reset-nvram)
    -reset-all (Same as above, but type reset-all)

If all else fails, call El Gato. Its probably still under warantee.
  3. alienex macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2005
  4. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    yeah I tried those, the problem is that my ipod works so I know the FW is fine on the computer side.

I've had this for over a year so I doubt theres a warranty ...
  5. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

May 13, 2005
    explain what you mean by pluging it in the wrong way round?

is any metal bent? try using a different cable to connect the two.

also try your device on someone else's mac to see if it is a problem with the hardware or software.
  6. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I tried a different cable last night. no improvement.

wrong way means flat side to round side and round side to flat side - and it was kinda in there I think, I couldn't see the back of the device and I was in a hurry for some reason.

I don't really have another mac around but thats a good idea ... I tried it wiht both 1.6.7 and 2.0 but maybe i'll trash all my eyetv stuff and try again.