Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
I have been having tons of small issues with my 1.6hhz powermac (1gb RAM, Radeon 9600, 80gb HD) but nothing that really worried me until now. I came home and found my computer making a very loud, vacuum cleaner volume noise. I checked the back of the computer and indeed it was venting and incredible amount of wind, blowing around paper and dust and stuff. I couldn't take the computer out of sleep mode so I manually powered it off and reset it. I've been running it for five minutes now and the fans have been operating normally. Does anyone know if this is a hardware problem or if it is something to do with software or firmware? I have all the latest firmware and OS updates on my comp.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Its just a freezing of the computer (software-caused, usually) but the G5 turns the fans all the way up to protect the computer from overheating.

supergod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Toronto
Danke. Glad it's just software related.I think my mum was fiddling about with the computer causing the whole thing because all the icon sizes were changed and my preferences were all whack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.