broken ibook latch

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by grapes911, Jan 8, 2004.

1. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

the latch on my ibook broke. I cannot "lock" my ibook closed. Anyone know if you can replace these. I don't have apple care anymore.

2. Calliander macrumors member

Re: broken ibook latch

Unfortunately, Apple does not replace the latch itself on iBooks. They are a part of the whole LCD assembly. You might want to call around and see if a local place would be able to fix it for you. Some places might have some broken iBook LCDs lieing around and it's possible that they won't mind swapping the casing for you.

Of course, the problem might be related to the top case, but a Service Provider would need to determine that for you.

It might not been too cheap to fix it, but maybe you'll get lucky. Take care!

3. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i forget the actual cost offhand, but it ain't cheap if it's out of warranty. happened to a friend of mine, and he never bothered to get it fixed due to the price.

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

i would look for a small clamp to put on it or just get a bad that would hold it closed when you need to close it for travel

5. grapes911 thread starter Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Ouch. I was hoping this would be easy. Guess I'll look for some mon&pop computer store who works on mac. Maybe I can suck up to them or something.

thanks for the input