Broken iMac G4 screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tommyg117, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Hey All! My dad got an iMac G4 with a 20" screen, 1.33mhz, about a year and a half ago, new. It is a great computer, however, every once in a while the screen goes black and it goes to sleep. The problem arises when I move the mouse and get the computer to wake back up. The sleeping light goes off and the computer starts back up like it normally should, but sometimes the screen just doesn't come back on! When this happens I have tried every possible means of helping the situation. I have rebooted the computer as well, and it still goes black after it is started! I let it sit for a while and then turn it back on again and it will work. Does anybody have any idea what is wrong with it?! It has been HARDLY used because my dad uses a different computer at work, so I don't think it is because of wear and tear. Any advice?

2. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Also, does anyone know what the trade-in value would be for this computer or if I were to sell it, what should I ask for? It has literally only been used a few times, and my dad no longer uses it, so I do when I am home from school once every few months. I wanted to trade it and put some money towards a powermac g5. Thanks!!

EDIT: IF i were to fix the screen that is.

3. Gokhan macrumors 6502a

ok

i would offer u 1000$ shipped to the uk for it with its problem

4. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Hmm, let me see if i can fix it. But keep in touch, that is an interesting offer.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Do you have the 3 year AppleCare warranty program?

Sounds like a hardware problem to me.

6. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I am not quite sure. It is my dad's computer, and he has since bought a new one so it has fallen into my possession. Is there anyway I can check?

7. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

i'de be interested in it
    weather you decide to sell it borken or fixed

8. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I do NOT have the applecare plan for the computer. I just checked. It is a 20 inch iMac G4, Superdrive, 1.33 ghz. Barely used. I just wish that I knew what was wrong. I will be going home in about a week, and I might consider selling it, email me with a price and I'll definetly keep you up to date.

Thomaswgood@gmail.com

9. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

I had nearly exactly the same problem when I bought my 20" iMac G4 refurb from apple a few months back. I took it in and they all thought it was the logic board, and even ordered me one. That didn't fix it and in the end they found out it was just a loose wire that was connected to the screen. I don't know if you would want to try to attempt to tinker with the inside wires of a G4 iMac yourself, but its a thought.

10. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

This is just a curious question, you keep saying 1.33GHz iMac G4. Is that right? I would have sworn the fastest G4 iMac was 1.25GHz (without 3rd party upgrades), just wondering if I heard wrong.

11. Tommyg117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

Yeah I'm sorry, I just called home and asked my mom to get the specs on it for me, and it IS a 1.25 ghz. I apologize!

12. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

Ah ok, it just peaked my interest thats all. :)