Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

5enohpi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Philly/Vegas
My wife broke her iPhone screen when it flew out her lap as she was exiting her car. She had a little cheap elago case that covers the back but the front screen got shattered. I'm not sure what my options are. I read on the forum that my only option is a $229 replacement. Can anyone share their experience?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yep, that's most likely what you'll have to pay.

Did you have AppleCare+ on it? brings it down to ... $50 .

hockeyman94

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
California
Or you can buy insurance with your carrier. Just call them up and ask for insurance. 3-4 weeks later say it broke. Would be a lot cheaper than getting it replaces at apple

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I doubt that. Att smartphones carry a deductible of $200. Also, you can't add insurance if you didn't add it when you purchased the phone.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Or you can buy insurance with your carrier. Just call them up and ask for insurance. 3-4 weeks later say it broke. Would be a lot cheaper than getting it replaces at apple

That is also called insurance fraud. Maybe he doesn't get caught, but it isn't good advice to recommend doing something that is outright wrong and perhaps illegal.

Sean4123

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2009
I had acouple of friends do it in the past you can add insurance whenever you want.

That's a big old false on that one buddy.

Your friend might have gotten away with getting it added, but any AT&T employee that doesn't want to lose their job will have to examine the phone and have manager approval on any insurance feature added after the first 30 days of purchase.

If not, that would be considered insurance fraud.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
My wife broke her iPhone screen when it flew out her lap as she was exiting her car. She had a little cheap elago case that covers the back but the front screen got shattered. I'm not sure what my options are. I read on the forum that my only option is a $229 replacement. Can anyone share their experience?

This is why I put on an otter box case on day one lol

billuptracyo

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
you can buy insurance with your carrier. Just call them up and ask for insurance.
a121.jpg

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
That is also called insurance fraud. Maybe he doesn't get caught, but it isn't good advice to recommend doing something that is outright wrong and perhaps illegal.

Bankers brought the US and UK banking system to it's knees and walked away without any glimmer of remorse, costing individuals a great deal and ruining lives.

That is perfectly fine and "legal".

But "defrauding" to get a phone replaced is an almighty sin eh?

The insurance companies do not care about you.

You do what you can, and can afford.

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
All you guys saying add insurance... THIS WILL NOT WORK. Insurance has to be purchased when buying the phone or within 30 days. Even if you do manage to dupe an AT&T employee into adding insurance to your plan, Asurion (the separate insurance company) will know that your phone is past the 30 day mark when you try to file a claim. They will deny the claim.

Also... smartphone insurance is worthless in this situation. The insurance deductible is $200 WITH A MONTHLY FEE.

He can just pay $229 to Apple for a replacement without needing to add insurance.

WhiteIphone5

macrumors 65816
May 27, 2011
Lima, Peru
What ever you do, don't put an ugly otterbox on a sexy iPhone! I'd rather have a cracked screen than one of those humungus otterboxes that is unless you are under the age of 5.

Well I use a commuter not defender :p lol. Although I would lose to use it the phone naked, it's too expensive to let anything happen to it lol. If it was iPhone 4/4S I wouldn't mind but the fact that the iPhone gets scuff and scratches, naw ill pass.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Bankers brought the US and UK banking system to it's knees and walked away without any glimmer of remorse, costing individuals a great deal and ruining lives.

no one said anything about banking companies? or that there are much worse things one could do?

wrong is wrong.. no mater how you try to justify it to yourself.. but people who justify their actions already know this..hence the need to justify.

but yeah no need to turn this into another moral high ground thread..

OP i'd do like vandy said.. use a spare phone and wait for your local store to do replacements.. shouldnt be long...or just pay the $250 or w/e if thats not an option. Sorry for the bad luck.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
All you guys saying add insurance... THIS WILL NOT WORK. Insurance has to be purchased when buying the phone or within 30 days. Even if you do manage to dupe an AT&T employee into adding insurance to your plan, Asurion (the separate insurance company) will know that your phone is past the 30 day mark when you try to file a claim. They will deny the claim.

Also... smartphone insurance is worthless in this situation. The insurance deductible is $200 WITH A MONTHLY FEE.

He can just pay $229 to Apple for a replacement without needing to add insurance.

I never understood why anyone would purchase iPhone insurance through their carrier. Talk about a fraud. Even AppleCare+ isn't really worth it for accidental damage replacement until the second incident. I'd rather risk the $79 then pay for AC+ upfront and possibly never need it.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

What??? What does that have to do with insurance fraud?? So because of failures in one sector we all should just forget all laws and throw all ethics out the window?

Of news flash for you No one cares about you! Its called business you pay for a good or service and you get that good not service. Scamming someone or some company for your personal benefit is not only wrong it costs us all money.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
This is why I bought 3 year accidental damage insurance day 1. With how clumsy I am sometimes, something's bound to happen. I'll have a new device long before the 3 years is up though.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
What??? What does that have to do with insurance fraud?? So because of failures in one sector we all should just forget all laws and throw all ethics out the window?

Of news flash for you No one cares about you! Its called business you pay for a good or service and you get that good not service. Scamming someone or some company for your personal benefit is not only wrong it costs us all money.

Ofcourse it's wrong, but far less a loss to them than what this means to the individual.

Oh and Apple needs to start paying their tax, like everyone else does. You know, it's "wrong" what they are doing.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Ofcourse it's wrong, but far less a loss to them than what this means to the individual.

Oh and Apple needs to start paying their tax, like everyone else does. You know, it's "wrong" what they are doing.

You cannot look at it like that. You need to understand how insurance companies work, how to spread risk and how they make money. They do not make money directly from premiums, it is based on the risk spread of the collective losses, loss probabilities and investment risk.

On a single loss basis, sure, the insurance company may not lose, but you need to realize insurance companies insure thousands if not millions of similar assets, they have a predetermined loss ratio and base premiums on that expected loss. Fraud skews the loss ratios and causes the insurance companies to loss money in that sector and thus raise rates for everyone. It is how it works; insurance is a community of people pooling similar risks and the cost is based on the loss ratio and loss probabilities.

Yes, insurance companies make money, but it is not from avoiding claims and premiums like most people think.

If someone posted here if they should avoid paying taxes I would say the same thing, no they shouldn't and every person and every company should pay what is legally due. Not more, not less, but legally due.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
You cannot look at it like that. You need to understand how insurance companies work, how to spread risk and how they make money. They do not make money directly from premiums, it is based on the risk spread of the collective losses, loss probabilities and investment risk.

On a single loss basis, sure, the insurance company may not lose, but you need to realize insurance companies insure thousands if not millions of similar assets, they have a predetermined loss ratio and base premiums on that expected loss. Fraud skews the loss ratios and causes the insurance companies to loss money in that sector and thus raise rates for everyone. It is how it works; insurance is a community of people pooling similar risks and the cost is based on the loss ratio and loss probabilities.

Yes, insurance companies make money, but it is not from avoiding claims and premiums like most people think.

If someone posted here if they should avoid paying taxes I would say the same thing, no they shouldn't and every person and every company should pay what is legally due. Not more, not less, but legally due.

I know how they work. I also know for a fact, that even if claims were to drop tenfold, they still wouldn't reduce their premiums in the long run. It would be deemed a glorious era of profits for them and the shareholders would pat them on the back.

The number of young people making motor claims here actually dropped 10% in the past few years but premiums continue to rise way above inflation, but only for the young. They are effectively using a stereotype to justify it now.

I know it's not ethically right, but neither are the practices of many financial services practices and the detrimental loss to the individual far outweighs theirs on the grand scheme of things.

Besides, it is hardly fraud if he already has home insurance in place is it. The accident did actually happen. LOL

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.