Broken iPhone 5 - Will Apple let me swap colours?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tmanto02, Dec 25, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

tmanto02

The speakerphone on my iPhone stopped working properly - I'm going to take it to Apple in the new year. However I also want a white one instead of black - Do you think they will let me swap colours when I get my iPhone replaced?

2. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

No they will not let you swap colors no matter what your issue is.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

tmanto02

Is this a fact or an assumption?

4. macrumors 68000

5. macrumors regular

BigWalt

Only way you could swap is if they did not have yours in stock.

6. macrumors 6502a

Not correct. They would just order one.

7. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

This is fact.

8. macrumors 6502

It's a fact that if you ask them they might do it. I have seen it happen it's not impossible. Be nice about it.

9. macrumors member

iPhaithful

10. macrumors 6502a

Big Stevie

Sounds like its a fact that they may or may not swap it to a different colour :D.

I once had an iPhone3gs out of warranty where the speakerphone stopped working. After asking if I had backed up my phone, they just handed me a brand new one. Great service.

11. macrumors newbie

they will not! when the 5 came out i bought a white one from best buy cause that's all they had and then i had a problem with it went to the apple store and they wanted to swap out i asked if i could swap colors i was told no but lucky i was able to swap it at best buy cause i was still in my 30 days

12. Guest

Before you go in for your warranty replacement, sandpaper the entire iodised coating off and explain to them that you did it because you were desperate for a white/silver one. At this stage they will swap it for a white one out of sheer pity and/or fear. No need to thank me ;)

13. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed, they swap out your phone with the exact model you currently have.

14. macrumors 68000

1080p

Damn it. I hate it when someone comes in and undermines the correct answer with misinformation. Out of the millions who have visited the Genius Bar, a handful have gotten swapped for another color. It is definitely out of the ordinary for it to happen and certainly NOT Apple's policy. Why mention it? Quit giving the guy false hope.

15. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It's funny to me how people here are trying to give this guy false hope but no one on this board has ever posted a story of a genius replacing with another color.

16. macrumors 68020

macingman

100% fact, Apple policy. No if's or buts.

17. macrumors 68020

18. macrumors 6502

Take it easy, no need to get upset. So you'd rather not know it is possible even if it's unlikely? False hope? We are still talking about a phone here not a live saving liver transplant, right? You go to the apple store you tell them your phone is acting up they offer to replace it and you nicely ask if they could replace it for you with a different color, they say yes you go home happy they say no you go home happy as well because your faulty phone was just replaced with a working one.

19. macrumors regular

BigWalt

Really because I now have a 64gb black 4s for my old white one.