broken iPod headphone - warranty coverage?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jxyama, Jan 13, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i have the 10 GB 3rd gen iPod. obviously, it's less than a year old and still covered by the warranty.

yesterday, i noticed that the headphone broke. the white cable cover had slipped off and bare wires are visible. it's still functional, but i imagine it's just a matter of time before it breaks due to exposure to elements/hazards.

this weekend, i was planning on going to the apple store to get iLife. incidentally, this apple store is where i purchased the ipod. i'm going to take the headphone with the receipt to see if they'd give me a new one under the warranty.

what do you think of my chances?

in case they won't give me a new one for free, do you think i should purchase the headphone/remote set? in the ear headphone?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I'd suggest calling them to find out if they'll replace it. This way you can be prepped to buy new headphones if need be. All the people in the world can tell you they will or won't.

3. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

true... i was just wondering if anyone's had any experience getting accessories replaced or not with their iPod.

i'll probably get the wired remote/headphone set ($35 with edu discount) if they don't get me a free replacement. the store is only 30 min. away and i was going for the iLife anyway, so it's no more inconvenient for me...

thanks for the suggestion.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    in my experience, its mostly if you get a sympathetic sales rep. once in a while you get someone nice who is willing to replace your accessories, and other times you get a total rehab case who just wont listen to you and say, its part of normal wear and tear blah blah blah

5. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Wouldn't hurt to try although I for one am not a fan of the iPod earphones. If mine broke it'd give me an excuse to go out and purchase some noise cancelling ones.

6. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

but you gotta show off the fact you got an ipod with that clearly identifiable white headphones! :D

i've found that the ipod headphones are ok, they aren't great, but they are far better than ones that came with other portable players (CD and MD players) i've owned. with a remote, i think $35 would be a worthwhile replacement...

i will probably start running with a different headphone, though. i'll use the original for commutes.

7. nickfit macrumors member

I had a problem with my headphones shorting out, no visible damage. I called Apple care and I had a new pair plugged into my ipod the next day. No questions asked, nothing to return.

8. nologo macrumors member

I have the same iPod (10 Gig, Third Gen).

The right driver on my headphones plays extremely low, if at all.

I paid little heed to this because i bought a replacement headphone+remote, but alas, lately these headphones have run into the exact same problem, the right driver giving off little to no sound when there should otherwise be.

I'm going to call AppleCare tomorrow (I'm busy today).

I'll let you know what comes of it.

I'm hoping that i can either

a) Get a new pair of earbuds
    b) Get two pairs of earbuds (as I did pay for two)
    c) Get In-Ear Headphones. This is the least likely but if I don't get this from AppleCare I'll probably just buy these, since I'm not to happy with the earbuds. But if i complain about it being a design flaw, I might just get lucky...

We'll see.

As I said, I'll tell you what happens tomorrow.

9. gemio17 macrumors regular

I returned my earbuds to the store after being shocked by them so many times that I am forever traumatized..(jk) but the point is the genius bar guys took 'em, and gave me a new pair..not too many questions asked..and now with the cold it's happening again, zzzap, I may have to splurge and get a functional pair of buds that won't shock the (insert expletive here) out of me....

10. TheT macrumors 6502

I use my iPod a lot. (1st 3G 15GB) My problem is the remote... that stupid connector just isn't very durable in my opinion. Anyways, got it replaced by Apple several times now, I didn't even have to send the defect ones in. It's part of their warranty.. headphones, remote, dock and cable are covered, just that belt-clip thinngy ain't.
    Just call the Apple Hotline, they'll take care of you :)

11. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

hmm. my remote broke at the connector to the ipod -- cable pulled out. it's a common problem. Apple Care sent me to the Apple Store, which gave me crap about how I must have mistreated it or pulled it out by the wire, etc. Eventually they gave me a new remote "but just this once", but I had to wait two weeks while it came in.

I'd definitely call up and/or go in, and see what happens. Try to look responsible, tho' (not that you wouldn't), because I imagine that if someone comes in right out of the sk8 park, they might suspect user misuse.

12. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

mxpiazza

Re: broken iPod headphone - warranty coverage?

all i'm saying is that those new in-ear headphones with 3 different cone sizes included look awesome. i have the same problem with my headphones as you do with yours, and what starts happening is that the sound starts to short, chennels mix, etc. definitley annoying. i was going to complain and get a new pair, but the in-ear headphones just look plain ol' sweetness. i'd go with those.

13. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

When I finally get an iPod, I won't have this problem, because I ****ing HATE earbuds and in-ear headphones. Bad enough they feel weird and get ear wax all over them, but the never stay in my ear! I suppose I should get some slightly more compact ones than I have now though, maybe like over-the-ear earbuds...

14. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

counterfit: believe me, i have a pair of grado can i use when i just want to listen to music at home. however, mini-headphone is kind of a necessary evil for commutes and during exercises.

apple's bundled headphones are actually ok. they are much better than usual bundled headphones...

15. nologo macrumors member

Well, I just got off the phone with 'Carl' at AppleCare who told me that the warranty doesn't cover the Ear Buds, and gave me suggestions about 'quarter turning' the headphone jack and/or making sure was plugged in all the way, etc.

After I ensured to him that it was a case of broken headphones (as I had tested them out in other devices, and tested other headphones in the iPod itself), he advised me to buy some sony headphones (no joke).

I'll try again tomorrow and see if another guy will give in...

16. nologo macrumors member

That's a little odd. The guy flat out told me that headphones were not covered.

My brother's 2nd Gen iPod's carrying case broke, and have gotten a replacement for it a few months back.

Perhaps its simply up the the AppleCare assistant's volition?

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Your last point is moot, as I just ****ing hate earbuds :p The only things I let go in my ear are Q-Tips.

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i personaly use senheissers px 200, okay so they are a little big and can mess up ur hair if u have any, but they sound great. down side is no one knows ur using an ipod since the tell tale white cords and buds dont show...

19. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

ahh... q-tips. nice. :p

i can understand. they are annoying if they don't fit too. but i guess i'm lucky because apple's earbuds fit me pretty well.

i guess i'll see what happens this weekend.

off topic, but, i can't wait to try the new iPhoto...!

20. noxes macrumors member

My headphones started seperating from the y spliter. took them into Future Shop, and they replaced them for free. ;)

Anyone else find there headphone cord gets really unflexible when in the cold, up here in the Great white north, below -10 celcius, i could poke someones eye out with it.

21. TheT macrumors 6502

That's weird... look at the extended iPod warranty... on the right side is says:
    The thing with the case not being covered is in the PDF somewhere.
    Now i know that this is extended AppleCare, but I thought that the only thing you purchase is, well, the extension, being 2 years instead of 1. I doubt it will cover the accesoires in the 2nd year only...

22. pingin macrumors member

pingin

You're not alone. This is a fairly common problem (check in the iPod usage forums in Apple Support discussion) and the same thing happened to my remote - the housing slipped off and the wires are bared but the remote control still works fine. I just called Apple about it last week and they shipped a replacement remote control straight away, no questions asked. I don't even have to send the "broken" one back which still works (and I'm still using, in fact).

Explain that the problem is with the remote unit and not with the headphones (they are treated as 2 distinct parts by apple).

23. gemio17 macrumors regular

jeez does it look dumb walking around with stiff as a board headphone wires coming out....they really do freeze up quite easily, how weird!

24. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    I've had blown headphones replaced with no questions asked by apple.