Broken Ipod

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by itsm3cmg, Jun 30, 2008.

1. macrumors member

I bought an ipod touch from craigslist. It worked for about 4 months then it crapped out on me. Nothing turns on or anything. What I am wondering is will Apple fix it even though I have no reciept or origanal box?:confused:

2. macrumors member

This is a long shot, but try to charge it for some hours, even if nothing appears on the screen. Then try to reset it with the iPod connected to the computer.

3. macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

Couldn't hurt to try-- anytime I have gone to see a genius, I never have my box or receipt-- just tell them you got it from Craig's list.

4. thread starter macrumors member

Well the reason I'm asking is because I live a couple hours drive away from the nearest Apple Store and I don't want to waste my time/gas driving up there.

5. macrumors 68040

peapody

I bought a macbook off someone on the forums. All I did to get the warranty transfered over to my name was call up apple and tell them I got it from a seller. They asked for just the name of the previous owner and it was transfered to me.

I would try saying it was a gift. I mean... getting an ipod as a gift is common and of course should not cancel a warranty in any way.

6. macrumors 6502a

teflon

Apple can tell the approximate age of the iPod by its serial number, so if your iPod is less than 10 months old you should be fine. If it's 11 months old it can get tricky because it could have been manufactured 12 months ago but didn't get sold until a month later.
    You can always just call AppleCare before you leave to make sure. If it costs more for you to get to the Apple store than to mail it to them, then you can always just mail it to Apple.

7. macrumors regular

macmikey2

apple support page

Go to the Apple support page. Enter in your touch serial number (there is a link at lower right of main support page...check my warranty status). If it is in warranty then just head out to Apple store or schedule online service.

You don't need any proof if it is in warranty. Only if it is really close to expiring or if you dispute their expiration date do you need to prove your purchase date.

Make sure to have them update the service record with your name and address.

I bought a Powerbook G4 from Ebay and it was under warranty and I had to have them change the record so it belonged to me. I have not had any problems with the 2 Apple stores in my area fixing warranty items I bought used.

8. macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Warranty on any iPod is 12 months from the date of purchase, regardless of when it was manufactured.

9. macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Ummmmm.... the iPod touch hasn't been out for 12 months yet. There are NO iPod touch's that are out of warranty.

10. macrumors 6502a

teflon

Yes but Apple can't tell the date of purchase, only the date it was manufactured. Therefore, the warranty on iPod would be from the date it was manufactured if you have no receipt. Which is the importance of the receipt, as the manufactured date is always earlier than the purchase date.

11. macrumors 601

They can tell the date of purchase. It's in their system for any Apple-branded hardware product that you buy with a serial number from them.

12. macrumors 6502a

teflon

Is that for all the iPods or only the ones that you buy directly from Apple? When I bought my iPod mini from a reseller and it broke, I was told that without the receipt they can only tell the date of manufacture. Say you buy an iPod from Best Buy, how would Apple know when exactly you bought it unless you register it online immediately?

13. macrumors 601

It's for any iPod bought from anywhere now. I don't know how long they've been implementing this, but it's been for a few years. Did you take the mini back to the reseller or directly to Apple?

For instance, I bought a shuffle at Target a few months back. When I enter the serial number on the warranty page, it knows the date when it was purchased and tells me when the warranty will expire.