Broken Lightning Cables

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by george-brooks, Nov 23, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

I was at the 5th Avenue Apple Store today getting a new iPad for my mom and while looking at some iPad minis, the salesman looked through countless dead floor models to find me a working one. He said they have been having numerous problems with lightning cables breaking as a result of customers aggressively using them, therefore causing the floor models to not charge and their batteries to drain. I haven't had any problems with my lightning cable so far, but I am concerned that the smaller size makes them less robust. Has anyone had problems yet?

2. macrumors 6502

There is only 3 stores in my town out of 10-15 that has working iPhones to try.

3. macrumors 68020

macingman

I think the problems are only due to so many people plugging the phones in and out constantly which is very different to normal use.

4. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Most people are pretty rough with the display models so while trying to charge them again they probably put to much force on the cables.

5. JAT
    macrumors 603

It may be more about Apple's silly lack of cable restraints than the connector. Apple's cables are always less robust than they should be. People pull cables out by holding the middle of the cable, not good with Apple's.

6. macrumors 68020

John T

Not good with any make of cable!

7. macrumors 6502

The closet Apple store I live in usually has a few hundred people inside whether I walk by or visit. I do think most cables are designed for the 1000s of bacteria filled hands tugging and pulling at everything at a constant basis.

It is why my germ-phobic self has hand sanitizer on ready after I am done with a walk through in the store. To be the worst is when you can clearly see the iPad covered in greasy food like fat substances all over their screens.

I bet the cables just melt quickly from all that grossness.

8. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Display models usually aren't treated very well by customers.

9. macrumors 68040

zhenya

This doesn't surprise me as the first time I handled a lighting cable I could see that it was going to clearly be less durable than the old style. It sticks out way too far for how secure a fit it is.

What hasn't been mentioned here so far is that the 30 pin cables lasted extremely well in stores. I was always impressed that the iOS devices had held up, because they get way more use than devices with USB, but the USB tablets are always dead from damaged connectors.

Maybe Apple will update the lighting connector in the future with MagSafe like I was hoping for from the beginning. :D

10. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

This is one reason I got AppleCare+ on my iPhone. If my lightning cable or headphones break then I get free replacements for 2 years

11. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

Unless you make a habit of yanking the iPhone towards you hard, stretching against the full length of cable and forcing a 90 degree bend on the connector., I doubt you're going to have problems.

My iPhone 5 and lightning cable are both just fine, and I've had mine since just after launch day.

12. macrumors 68040

zhenya

You can say that, but the reality is that devices like these get plugged in thousands of times in their lives, tripped over, sat on, tugged on by kids, a millions things that you can never imagine. While I personally am not hard on such connectors in general, I know that many people are and that accidents happen. Apple has always excelled at making robust and durable ones. It's not clear that remains with this new connector.

13. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

I still don't think that the displays in the Apple Store represent common household usage, even rough usage. If you look at how the connectors are configured in Apple Stores, there's a very tight bend that is imparted on the cable, causing constraint strain. I've seen a few old dock connector cables get split on displays, too, so I'm not so sure that amount of abuse is only going to wreck a lightning cable.

14. macrumors 68040

zhenya

Of course it's not a common use case, that's the amazing thing about the old connector, that it held up amazingly well even in the stores. If something broke, it was usually the cable (which often continued to work even if the plastic split). I'm not convinced the new one won't sometimes do internal damage to the devices.

15. macrumors 6502

I just got my replaced for free on Black Friday.. It had a short. I thought that was quick for two months..my 4 had the wires exposed after awhile and lasted for about a year

16. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I can only imagine the mileage and abuse those floor models and wires take every single day with thousands of customers plugging them in and out.

17. macrumors 65816

Mr_Brightside_@

I was having issues with mine that came with my phone. I charge it on my bedside table and whenever I unplugged it it would fall to the floor. Last week the cable stopped charging my phone, and plugging it into my computer (cable only, no phone attached) prompted a message saying the USB device was drawing too much power. Very strange. I've an extra cable that I've been using, but I'll test the flaky cable further and see about a G bar apt.

18. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Same thing with mine.
    It always falls on he floor when I unplug my phone:)

19. macrumors regular

i was at the freehold raceway mall apple store and i saw at least a dozen snapped lightning connectors with iPads and iPods lying down on the tables. People are monsters

20. macrumors newbie

I just replaced my lightning cable and I'm gentle with my stuff.
    Mine was apparently a short and I was not the only one they had seen at the Genius Bar that day with the same problem.

Other than that, no problems.

21. macrumors regular

Cubeeless

I didn't know, that AppleCare+ is good for that.

22. macrumors 68020

What town do you live in that has 10-15 apple stores? I live in a major area of Colorado and we have 4 in the area within a 30 minute or so drive from one another.

23. macrumors 6502

I mean normal stores :)

24. macrumors 6502

I hope my lightning connector holds up better than the 30 pin connectors. The outer rubber coating on each is torn and frayed. I'm not rough with them at all. The only one that has held up is the griffn cable.

My MBA MagSafe adapter seems to be on the path too. Time to break out the ghetto fix with electrical tape.

25. JAT
    macrumors 603

Absolutely. However, many are constructed much better and can handle it. Some have realized that people do this even though they shouldn't.