Broken mouse and Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DavidCar, Apr 3, 2007.

1. DavidCar macrumors 6502a

I bought an iMac about 4 months ago. Now my mouse scroll ball only works up, not down. I didn't buy it at an Apple Store, but if I took it back to where I bought it, I think they would have to send it in for repairs.

Can I just take it to an Apple Store and get it exchanged under warranty?

Do I need my sales slip (which I presently can't find) or can they look up my warranty online?

Thanks,
    DC

2. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

You tried cleaning it first?

Get a moist wipe and rub it across the ball incase there is trapped dirt.

3. briantology macrumors 6502

I had the same problem. It started out that cleaning it would fix it, but it eventually stopped scrolling down period. If it it still under warranty (bought with computer or whatever) then you can call Apple and they will send you a replacement, or you could go to an Apple store (calling them first would be a good idea), but I don't have an Apple store close by (yet ;))

4. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just tried the moist wipe. Now it won't scroll in any direction.

The down scroll has felt flakey for a while, so I'm not suprised it died.

5. xlosltove777 macrumors member

I've had this issue a few times beyond repair of a cleaning. Just brought it to the :apple:Store that's about 5 minutes away and they've given me a new one.

6. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

I called the local Apple Store, their answering machine transferred me to AppleCare, and now they're going to mail me a new mouse. I will need to return the old one.

7. coach z macrumors newbie

that is the same story i hear for anyone who has a problem with their mouse. glad you got yours fixed as well
    -chris

8. DavidCar thread starter macrumors 6502a

They wanted me to try a lint free cloth, which I did for a few minutes. My dealer originally wanted me to try rolling it hard briefly, which worked for several months. It didn't recover this time and it has been down for a week or so with no change. So it was time for a new mouse.