Broken PC Ipod reformatted to MAC works in Itunes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jled1082, Sep 27, 2006.

1. jled1082 macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    Ive been having trouble with my iPod randomly restarting, formatting, and becoming unusable. I would be able to view my iPod in Explorer but Itunes would never recognize it. iPod diagnostics would say that it was connected but it would never show up under devices. Ive been restoring and all of that other stuff that apple suggests to get your iPod to work again in iTunes to no avail.

So since I was able to see it in explorer I started to look into programs that let you put songs directly onto your ipod through explorer. I found a program(xplay) and installed it. Well that didnt work so I completely formatted the ipod with the HP USB utility and plugged it back in. Well Xplay recognized it then and asked me to download the iPod update which I did. Unbeknownest to me Xplay puts Mac firmware on the iPod. Once that firmware update was complete lo and behold iTunes instantly recognizes my iPod and has continued to recognize it every time I plug it in.

So for whatever reason iTunes now recognizes my iPod as a mac ipod on my PC and seems to work perfectly. I have read alot of threads on iTunes not recognizing iPods and thought to post this so if anybody out there with an ipod that doesnt work in windows for whatever reason could give it a shot.
  2. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
  3. jled1082 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sep 27, 2006
    Sorry dont really care about case sensitive arbitrary abbreviations.
  4. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Jun 6, 2005
    I see your point, 'cause we know what you mean. But MAC refers to something computer related, and it ain't Mac. Written language is always imprecise, but a little effort helps tremendously.

so's don't be takin' no offense.:D