Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fenixx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2006
My friend recently discovered that his 4G (non color) iPod screen was only displaying half of the screen, as if it has been cracked (but no surface damage is showing). The display on shows 45% of the left hand side, and now has a odd blueish stain on the inside of the screen.

My friend is taking it to our local Apple store today, in hopes they will "replace" the screen, and he is willing to pay for it to be replaced.

I told him to just buy a new damn iPod for the price of a screen replacement, but I am just guessing it will be expensive. What can he expect from Apple, or in general?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I think that the price or repair (parts and labor) would be high enough to make buying a new one the more attractive option, exactly as you advised, leaving him with his current one as a high-capacity, large Shuffle.

Hudgie

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Apple will probably charge in excess of $200 for the repair.

A better idea would be to look for a working screen from an otherwise (HDD, etc) broken iPod.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Hudgie said:

A better idea would be to look for a working screen from an otherwise (HDD, etc) broken iPod.

Wow...that's more than a refurbished 30 GB video iPod.

ipodcentral112

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
4th Generation LCD

I think your best bet is just to buy a 4th generation screen and replace it your self. I buy and sell ipods and ipod parts and i currently have a 4th Gen LCD for $40 shipped. If you would like that please PM me. I could send with it detailed instructions on how to repair it your self and install the new LCD or for an additional $10 plus the cost of back and forth shipping i could install the screen my self and send it back to you. Anyway im not saying that you have to buy the screen from me, or pay me to install it but its not all that hard to install a new LCD is you read the instructions and its a lot cheaper than going to apple with it, or else where. Anyway shoot me a PM for more info or for information about purchasing the LCD from me. I would be more than happy to help you, as i have been repairing, buying and selling ipod parts for about 3 years now and have a lot of experiance!

Thanks,
Jason

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Hudgie said:

For Apple to replace the screen directly is $249 and may also require a shipping cost if the iPod is not in warranty, if it is a hardware failure and under warranty i don't believe it costs anything except maybe shipping. Since this iPod is not under such coverage, it is definitely not worth paying Apple to replace it. There are various websites that service iPods for better prices, though. I think one i've heard of is iPodresQ but i don't have any knowledge of those types of services or the quality... google may help you there :)

rugger

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2004
It's easier than you think to do the repair

I haven't dealt with ipodcentral who sells replacement parts. But I have dealt with several others who have provided great service and parts. I have no reason to suspect that ipodcentral is not also very good

I am a non-technical guy who has replace family and friends batteries on mini's, 3G and 4G's.

I recently replaced a 4G screen for my daughter. The part was $27 and appeared new. Once you get the knack for opening the case (no screwdrivers please) everything is pretty modular. It probably makes sense to put a new battery in at the same time.

Have a go. (and wear your specks)

cynton8

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2008
hi can you send me info on how to order an lcd screen

I think your best bet is just to buy a 4th generation screen and replace it your self. I buy and sell ipods and ipod parts and i currently have a 4th Gen LCD for $40 shipped. If you would like that please PM me. I could send with it detailed instructions on how to repair it your self and install the new LCD or for an additional $10 plus the cost of back and forth shipping i could install the screen my self and send it back to you. Anyway im not saying that you have to buy the screen from me, or pay me to install it but its not all that hard to install a new LCD is you read the instructions and its a lot cheaper than going to apple with it, or else where. Anyway shoot me a PM for more info or for information about purchasing the LCD from me. I would be more than happy to help you, as i have been repairing, buying and selling ipod parts for about 3 years now and have a lot of experiance!

Thanks,
Jason

i need an lcd screen for a 4g iphone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.