Broken TiBook=Bad thing. Reason to buy AlBook=Good thing.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DavisBAnimal, Apr 23, 2003.

1. DavisBAnimal macrumors member

So I went home for Easter Weekend, went out for some last minute Easter Shopping, and came home only to find my Joe-Cool skateboard (my first one) which is normally on my window sill, had fallen onto my bed (I'm thinking the cat is to blame), right on top of my sleeping PowerBook. My first reaction was an innocent and naive "oh no! I dented my PowerBook!". Once I flipped open the lid, and saw this:

[​IMG]

my reaction quickly turned to something a little more dramatic and a whole lot less appropriate for these forums.

Check out some more pictures here:
    http://homepage.mac.com/davisanimal/PhotoAlbum11.html

So seeing as this isn't covered under the warranty, AND, sadly, not covered under my parents homeowners insurance (trust me, we called and called and called), I've decided to keep this guy here and just buy a new one! How can I argue with an excuse to buy a new mac?

Here's where you guys come in. My thought right now is this: I need a laptop - I can't live without the convenience. I figure I can use my trusted, fractured LCD PBook as a desktop system/true digital hub - it could serve as DVD player (always connected to my TV), Digital Picture frame (to show some iPhoto slide shows on that TV), and digital jukebox (store all my Mp3s there, to save hard drive space on the new laptop). Not to mention a handy desktop system (with my external monitor).

As it is now, I'm looking at the 12inch YaoBook. I go to college and know it will be perfect for the whole web surfing, emailing, IM, essay writing shebang. My one concern is my budding professional life. I work for some departments on campus here making educational DVDs on Final Cut and DVD Studio Pro. The lack of on screen real-estate and L3 makes me a little nervous about getting the 12inch AlBook. I've heard most people say it runs smoothly (I'm coming from a 667 DVI), just wanted to see if you all would agree. I also do a bit of web work (www.teamresto.com) on Firework and Dreamweaver and wanted to see how much of a pain working with the limited resolution was.

Any suggestions? Words of condolence?

2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Eniregnat

RIP- what about trying to get it fixed?

I don't condone lieing, but you could of changed the homeowners policy before makeing the claim. - Bad, bad, bad Eniregnat.

Sorry, it was the ring. Always calling me...

3. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Wow.

Well, that's certainly different. Hmmm. No, nothing comes to mind in the way of helpfulness. Best of luck, though. ;)

4. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

As an owner of a Ti, I feel for your predicament; don't even want to think about an accident!

How about a 14" iBook as a replacement?
    More screen room, save some bucks, newly upgraded models vs. the Yao.

5. Caddy macrumors member

I am a big word processor, just got the Powerbook and it heats up to an exent that I can't stand!

6. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

heating issues

I think that Caddy's experience is very important to pay attention to.

The 12" PB runs very hot and some claim that the lids warp!

I am not sure if this is an issue with the ALu 17 but I am trying to gather more information about it, before buying one.

I suggest you stay clear of the 12" and wait for further information about the 17".

If your not using high end stuff then I think that one of the new iBooks are very good! They run cooler i think and are up to 900 htz.

7. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

15" Alu.

My bet is that the new 15" Aluminum books will come out soon. I would suggest you save a little more cash and buy one of those.

Or, you can get a 15" 1GHz TiBook with Superdrive for like 2200 or less if you look around....

8. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

don't get the 12 inch. it's slower, smaller, and probably has a number of issues, being a first version. i would definitely get the LCD and (maybe) the lid replaced. i imagine this would cost at least a few hundred less than the 12 incher, and it would be the big screen and faster CPU/video processor. don't get the 12.

by the way man, i am really feeling for you. my 15 inch tibook is my baby. i would go out of my mind if i had an out of warranty like that.

9. DavisBAnimal thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I went to get an estimate on the repair from my local/trusty Apple Service guy and he quoted me "somewhere over $1000" for the replacement. I have a pretty nice chunk of change saved up from video work so I'd rather just buy a new laptop and keep this busted one to use as a desktop system/digital hub.

That being said, I'm a big fan of the iBook line but given the amount of work I do in Final Cut and DVDSP it would be a bit on the slow side for me. Great computers, though.

I'm going to have to agree with the consesus and vote against the 12inch. I just spent some time "practicing" what it would be like working in 1024 x 768 and there's no way I could get used to it - it drove me nuts. Plus I'm not thinking it would be the fastest for video work.

I think I'm going to go with MacAztec's suggestion and wait it out for the Aluminum 15". PowerPage/O'Grady's (or I guess O'Grady's PowerPage now) has them due out May. 19th (http://www.powerpage.org/story.lasso?newsID=10917). I know they haven't had the best record as of late, but I'm not above waiting it out a month or two and jumping on that when it happens.

Thanks guys.

Davis

PS Thanks for the condolences. Like most people here, my Mac is like my precious child. Once this happened, though, and I had some time to chill out, I realized that there are a lot more horrible things that could have happened - things that can't as easily be fixed/replaced. As much as I love it, it is just a computer.