Broken trackpad?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alxths, Mar 12, 2007.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

I'm not an angry person, but every once in awhile computers push me over the edge and I do something rash. And it was such a situation when I hit my trackpad with the tips of my middle and ring finger the other day :\ . Initially, what happened is it would work unless my finger went over the part that I had hit.. then the cursor would lock up. Interestingly enough, the cursor would become unlocked after being put to sleep. But the problems slowly worsened to bring me to where I am now, with a completely non-working trackpad.

I've been thinking about opening this thing up to take a look at it. Could I have just knocked something loose? Is it possible to buy replacement trackpads? How does one get at the trackpad in a 12" 1GHz powerbook, anyways?

2. Jonnyfive macrumors regular

With the 12 inch powerbooks you cannot replace just the track pad you would have to replace the whole top of the case that includes that trackpad. Last I checked on ebay they were going for around 50-60bucks.

I've looked on the bottom of the top case which houses the track pad and it appears that there is just ribbon cable connecting the tackpad, it doesn't look like it could be knocked loose.

Probably your best bet is to replace the top part of the case and try not to let your aggressions out on it next time :p

3. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

I found one for $35 and will put the extra money towards a punching bag.