broken Xbox, help??

Discussion in 'Games' started by someguy, Aug 14, 2006.

1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

I hope I'm in the right forum.

I am selling the PC in my signature and had an offer of $250 + an Xbox that has a problem.

I told the guy I'd probably take the offer, but I want to describe (in his words) the problem and see if anyone here knows what might be involved in fixing it, or anything you can tell me at all.

He said that it seems to work fine for a little while, then the game starts to slow down, load times increase, and eventually (within an hour or two I assume) the game just stops and crashes.

Short and sweet. :D

So what do you think? He said he thought it was the hard drive, but I have no idea because I've never owned an Xbox or tried to fix one. Can anyone shed a little light on this situation before I trade?

Thanks! :)

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Looks like you will be buying a brick dude....That xbox sounds like its on its way out.

Bless

3. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Well, isn't an Xbox essentially a PC? If something goes bad on a PC, you just tear it open and fix/replace whatever needs be.

Is this not the same as with an Xbox? Can anyone tell me anything given the information provided?

4. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Hard drive is the first thing that crossed my mind as well, but it could also be faulty RAM or power supply...or just about anything. I would value an XBox like that (sight unseen) at about $25, so if your PC is worth less than $225, take the deal.

Like somebody else said, the XBox is basically a PC; if the HD is worn out it *is* possible to replace the HD. Same probably goes for all of the rest of the components in there as well.

EDIT: Haha, oops it was you[\i] that said it was a PC. If you like to tinker it might be a fun thing to fix, but its real hard to know whats wrong based strictly on what he has said. What if nots the HD, but the HD controller? You would be screwed because that would be a full mobo replacement and that would cost you as much as a new XBox. Value the Xbox lowly if you want to play around with fixing it, value it at zero if you want something that will be simple to get up and running.

5. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

FYI, the aritechture of the Xbox is the same as a Pentium III PC, but everything is integrated into the mobo, the DVD drive is non-standard, and the HDD and the motherboard are actually linked and locked to each other, so you cant replace one without the other, unless you install a modchip.

6. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Thanks for the info.

Based on what others have said in my other thread, if I can get $250, I'd be doing good. To get a potentially fixable Xbox as well would only possibly sweeten the deal, along with creating a sense of anticipation for me which is always fun. :)

I'll see if the offer is still valid. Anyone know any good Xbox modding/hacking/etc sites that will help me figure out what is wrong with this thing when/if I get it?

7. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You cna buy a modded xbox for 200 bucks with an executer chip and an 80-100 gig HD installed. Don't buy this from the guy.

8. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Well, his offer is no longer valid since he went and bought something else already. :(

Oh well, thanks for the info and help, everyone.