Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TigerBabe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Hollywood
Very true I was kind of thinking the same thing. It would be nice to have it when I really need it. While your here do you anything about the Sena's version?

Theraker007

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
havent seen it yet, got a link?

Have you tried dragon dictation? I wrote a 2 page paper with, well spoke a 2 page paper. without stopping and it took me MAYBE 10 minutes to correct the pronunciation errors.

kwfergy

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2010
Anyone have any experience with this?

I was thinking about asking for this for Christmas.

djmodifyd

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
just got it for christmas. first day using it, so haven't tested it very much, but from the initial use of it i LOVE it! i'm typing this on it right now, and it is SO easy. The keys are whisper quiet, pairs (bluetooth wise) flawlessly, and the case protects it well. It also does not add much bulk to it either, very easy to carrie around.

Natesac

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
Dallas,Tx
Don't buy it from brookstone. Think geek has the same case for $40 cheaper.

My buddy got one for Christmas. Its pretty cool except the keyboard is one of those rubbery types. Not in love with that idea, but I will make it a point to try it out for myself.

I might hold out for something with a more solid keyboard.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
For $60 at ThinkGeek this might be a great option. I was looking at the Zaggmate with keyboard and that one still might happen, but that is $100 and I feel I would need to add a sleeve to hold it all together.

The ZAGG/mate costs more for a simple reason, it's a better product and you do not need a sleeve with it. If you are worried about the back of the iPad being exposed, get a skin.

The Kensington, Sena and Brookstone all use a similar, rubbery keyboard with no Shift key on the right side. You do not have to be a great touch typist to be annoyed by this, particularly if you are right handed. As a test, when you are typing on a regular keyboard, pay attention to how many times you use the right Shift key. On the Kensington, Sena and Brookstone you will be hitting the down arrow.

christinewoods

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
Hudson, NY
I just got the Zaggmate from Amazon, will be returning and buying the Brookstone from brookstone.com. (I don't see that it's available at thinkgeek as another poster suggested. The one there is an Acase).

From what I’ve read, the Brookstone folio case for the iPad 2 has improvements over the first: the KEYS ARE PLASTIC, not silicone; the layout of the keys is standard; THERE IS A RIGHT SHIFT KEY, half-size but better than none; a stainless steel insert makes it feel more like a laptop when typing.

I'm hoping the Brookstone solves the problems I've had with the Zagg:

1. While the Zagg is aluminum cool to match the iPad, and the keyboard is great - especially in that it has a full-size right shift key (most iPad keyboards don’t even have right shift), and the keys are plastic like a regular keyboard, not rubbery silicone - the iPad merely sits in a slot, IS NOT FASTENED to the keyboard, so if you want to use it on your lap, say while travelling, it can easily be bumped out of the slot. If you need to move, you have to remember to hold onto both the keyboard and the iPad, or the iPad may go flying.

2. When using the Zagg on your lap, it's top-heavy, so unless your lap is level, with your knees at least as high as the top of your thigh (not the way one normally sits), the keyboard bounces when you type - VERY annoying.

3. The back of the Zagg easily scratches and, because the iPad fits facedown into it when not in use, forming one side of the "case", the back of the iPad is not protected either. So an additional protective case is required for the Zagg if you don't like scratches.

If I remember to (hey, I'm post-menopausal), I'll post back with a Brookstone review.

Last edited:

bunger

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2007
I have a friend who has this case and they need to re-pair the keyboard to the iPad everytime they power on their ipad?! Has anyone else seen this behavior?

willing user

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2011
Need Instructions

I got a brookstone bluetooth keyboard cover for my ipad as a gift but I lost the instructions and need to know how to sync/connect this to my ipad

mdcarlson

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2011
+1 on the frequent need to re-pair this bluetooth keyboard

I have a friend who has this case and they need to re-pair the keyboard to the iPad everytime they power on their ipad?! Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I received this as a Christmas gift and am having the same issues of having to frequently re-pair the keyboard. This happens even when my iPad has not been powered off or reset.

The two other annoyances are the missing right shift key and the short time interval before the device goes into standby mode.

Is there a support site somewhere for this keyboard or one of its clones?

The manual for this product can be found here.

Last edited:

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I recently received this case as a gift and I am loving it, I am not having the issues stated, I paired the keyboard once and haven't had to do it again, the keyboard goes to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity but a press of a button wakes is back up so I have not suffered any time loss because of it. I have been using it extensively and mine also has two shift buttons unlike some mentioned here so perhaps I have a newer version?

srsue

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2012
Brookstone case

I also got the brookstone case with keyboard for Christmas for my ipad 2. I really love it except I have to go into settings everytime I want to use it. It does not auto sync as it is supossed to. I am wondering if this is a case problem or a ipad system problem

hchavarria

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2008
I also got the brookstone case with keyboard for Christmas for my ipad 2. I really love it except I have to go into settings everytime I want to use it. It does not auto sync as it is supossed to. I am wondering if this is a case problem or a ipad system problem

Not sure but sounds like a case issue because I have had no problems with the Bluetooth connection, I simply always keep bluetooth on in settings and turn on/off keyboard or let it sleep when not in use.

pborange

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2012
+1 for Brookstone keyboard auto-connect problem

I have the same issues with auto-connect between the Brookstone keyboard and the ipad. The keyboard has to be re-paired every time it is shut off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.