brother laser printer install problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iSaint, Nov 4, 2006.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm getting an error message when trying to install a brother HL2070 laser printer. I've attached screen shots.

Usually, my Powerbook has been able to find a new printer when attached and do the install for me. However, it's not recognizing or finding a new printer under Printer Setup Utility.

Any help would be appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Weirdness. Did you get the drivers from the website? They appear to be different for each version of OSX. :eek:

3. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I first tried with the CD ROM that came with the printer. Well, I tried the Printer Setup Utility first as the OS X platform usually does things for you!

With no luck there, I downloaded the driver from the web site with the same result.

EDIT: shouldn't you be in bed?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

At eleven in the morning? I'm not that slovenly... Yet... :p

How are you connecting the printer? Is it directly connected via USB?

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Brother has some troubleshooting tips at their website, but off the top of my head: remove any Brother printers that are showing in Printer Setup Utility. Then, install the current driver for it (from Brother's website). I believe it's UniversalBinary, if that matters to you. Next, if it doesn't show up automatically, add the printer, selecting the CUPS driver for the 2070.

I have a 2040, and the driver shows up as: Brother HL-2040 series CUPS v1.1

(it's actually served by an Airport Express, not directly connected to my computer, but the driver is the same either way)

6. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

It says to select USB on the Printer Browser at Printer Setup Utility. But, that option is not appearing.

I am directly connected via USB at the moment, with the idea of making it a wireless printer via AirPort Express.

doh!

I can't get the pkg file to expand to get access to the driver! Ugh!

EDIT: the same error message as I showed in my original posting appears with the driver package on the CD and the one I downloaded. It's not expanding the drivers.

Attached Files:

7. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Update: my Powerbook is now seeing the printer and identifying it in the Printer Browser. But, it doesn't find the driver.

I called Brother. They think it's a permissions issue.

I called Apple. They have no idea.

Maybe the 10.4.9 update will have the driver in it.

*sigh*

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

When reinstalling the drivers, did you remove them first? This script might help clear things up. It'll restore all your printer settings and customisations to the default and you'll lose all your drivers, so be warned. However, after running it, you might have more luck installing the printer and its drivers. :)

9. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Thanks, I was considering this, so I'll try it this afternoon!

EDIT: apparently this is some sort of permissions problem. I've repaired permissions to no avail. You would think an authentication box would pop up, but it's not.

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, I'm still struggling to see how it's a permissions problem, but I'll keep looking into it. :eek:

11. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I changed the Stuffit Expander option for destination to have it expand to the location specified by the archive. I no longer get the error messages, but the drivers aren't showing up in the Printer Setup Utility either. So, where is it expanding to? What kind of files should I look for in Spotlight to determine this?

thanks

12. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

I Fixed It1!!!!11oneaaoraazzzdaf

I installed the printer using an HP LaserJet Cups 1.1 driver and it works like a charm! Installed via Bonjour on my Airport Express as well!

Yay, me!!!!!!!!

Thanks everyone for their help!

:D :D :D :D

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew