Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I'm not familiar with that model, but I've had a 2040 for maybe 2 years, and it's been great. Very fast startup and output. Good looking grayscale. It does make a brief "buzz" sound when it heats up, or periodically when in the "keep-warm" after last print (default is 5 min.). Maybe that's what some have reported as "power-surges".

I have it setup as a shared USB printer through Airport Extreme Base station.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I have a Brother DCP 7010 laser printer, and I'm completely satisfied with it - never a single problem. If mine is representative for Brother's lasers, you'll be fine. :)

iSaint

macrumors 603
I just bought the HL2070N for $99. The Brother Printer driver wouldn't install on my computer, but I used the "HP New Deskjet Series Cups 1.1" and it works wonderfully. It has a great print speed at over 20ppm, and I like its compact size.

Very good idea buying a laser for college, esp for an English major!

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
My parents had a HL1250 for over 6 years and it was always great. It's mine now and I love it. I haven't printed any envelopes with it though.

My parents were going to buy another Brother at first, but then I looked around a bit and found that the Kyocera FS1030D used less energy, so that seemed like a good choice too. Also because my parents used to have another Kyocera before the Brother and it was great.

So my advice would be either a Brother or a Kyocera :)

Grampa Joe

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2006
I bought a Brother HL 5250DN a month ago based on researching several laser printers, and there is no question that it is a terrific product. I've had no trouble with it at all, and I do a lot of printing. I don't think you can go wrong with this model.
I haven't done envelope printing and doubt if I ever will, but it's a breeze for duplex (front and back) printing.
As for wrinkling, I've seen none of that.
Some folks said it is too noisy. Not as far as I'm concerned.

andy89

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Kent, England
I have a brother ink jet brinter, and its crap.

Its network card only works 10% of the time (at the very most) and it eats cartridges like crazy.

Maybe the lazer ones are better though.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
I have a Brother HL-5170DN laser printer.

Works very well and is network ready. I routinely print from Windows 2K, Windows XP, Mac OS 9, Mac OS X, and from my Newton 2100.

For printing envelopes it has a passthrough option. I usually just let the envelope go all the way through and skip the passthrough option. The envelopes are a little bit curled, but not bad at all. With the passthrough option the envelope comes out fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.