Brothers in Arms

Discussion in 'Games' started by Balin64, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Balin64

I have not seen this brought up, so here are my questions: has anyone played this game yet, and when will it be available for our Macs? I hear it's going to be better than COD.

2. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

I haven't heard anything about a mac port... I've played it on Xbox and I still enjoy COD a bit more though... I just find it more fun (hard to put it in words).

3. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Big difference between BIA and COD. COD is more a "Quakey" run 'n gun game, while BIA is like COD, Full Spectrum Warrior and R63 combined. Depends on your style. Personally, I find BIA vastly superior to COD, expecially multiplayer.

4. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

I heard COD was better. Not sure if it will make it to mac.

5. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

WWII shooters is the only genre I can allow myself to play, since I really do not have much time. Still, sometimes I find myself spending waaay too much time playing. While I love COD, I was looking forward to a new game. BF 1942 plain did not do it for me. Should I buy MOH?

6. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

You'll be dissapointed with MoH if you liked CoD. Doesn't delevier the same "bang!". As for me, I'm tired of WWII shooters. My last three game purchases have been WWII. CoD: UO, MoH: Breakthrough, and CoD: Finest Hour. I also downloaded Enemy Territory. I'm not tired of UO though. I just don't want a new one.

7. stutz macrumors member

This is from December of last year, but here goes.

In a recent IRC chat, Randy Pitchford of Gearbox Software (the company most recently behind the PC port of Halo) revealed it's likely their upcoming first-person shooter Brothers in Arms would make it to the Mac platform as well.

While some will groan at the idea of another World War II-based shooter, Brothers in Arms is being pitched by Gearbox and publisher Ubisoft an as FPS with a heavy emphasis on squad-based teamplay and a compelling story.

Here's what Pitchford had to say on the possibility of a Mac port:

<@[PCG]Norman> Hello, I just wanted to ask if
    there's any chance of a Macintosh version of this game in the future.
    Will there ever be a Linux version of this game? 64bit support?

<@Randy_Pitchford> There is very likely to be a Mac version. I don't
    have much hope for a commercial Linux version, although I wouldn't rule out
    the possibility of Linux binaries.

For the whole interview go to:

http://bia.gearboxed.com/misc/irc_pcgamer_log

Glenda Adams of Aspyr has said that even though they as a company are somewhat tired of the WWII shooters, those FPS have been their top sellers, so they won't rule out doing more of them.

On a side note, stay away from the MoH: Allied Assault unless you have the most powerful graphics card out there or you may be dissappointed with performance. It's not a well done expansion. BiA does seems to have a cool squad based thing going for it though. You may want to get your hands on the new First to Fight (modern Marine combat) due in a week or so. That's supposed to be IT when it comes to squad based control.

Stutz

8. applekid macrumors 68020

Ah, yes, forgot about the Gearbox interview. It has a chance after all.

The Mac (and I guess the PC) game market is saturated with too many WWII shooters even now. I think it's getting to a point where many of the games are a disservice to the veterans and people that suffered in WWII, even if I find the games fun for being just a game.

9. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

My 2 Cents.

Personally, I found BIA 10 times better that any MoH. MoH was just like any other FPS with WWII slapped over the top. BIA has so much depth it's creepy. 1 mission away from completing the second time on the Hard level (and will probably play "authentic" after that).
    I found myself loving the extra features you unlock, and it really gets to you, you start thinking:
    Did I do that the same way they really did it?
    Oh my god, I died in that mission like 10 times, someone did that for real!? Wow
    Heroes,
    Never forget.

MoH makes me think:
    Run and gun, again, again, again. Cor, wish I was playing Halo or summit.

P.S. There's this great Mac Add-On that lets you play the latest games, looking good, and relesed (usually) first: It's called an Xbox! I love mine! and only £100! - That is one cheap accessory!

10. Balin64 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Balin64

That 'toon above made me laugh. Thanks!

An Xbox or PC are out of the question for me. I have a very minimalist flat and sincerely I don't know where I would put an Xbox... the PC is out of the running for the same reason.

Besides, I need to spend less time gaming... but I can't help myself! (slaps left arm inside the elbow a few times). I love the WWII games. I just want a new one.

Also, and don't knock me for this one: I never play the online version: just the single player. Like I said, I am not much of a gamer and what may seem easy and exhilirating for some of you is torture for me. I just don't do online gaming very well. I just don't work that way.

I like to be methodical, look around the maps, explore all this stuff, and progress from one difficulty level to another. For example, I still can't end COD: United Offensive oon the hardest setting. I gave up last time I kept getting slaughtered and just started a new game from scratch. But when I DO pass it at hard level, I know I will need my next fix. I was hoping Brothers in Arms would be that fix.

11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Re, Cartoon

Yeah, that side of things is a little stupid.
    They needed to give you a sense when you performed a bad manuevre though I guess (rathaer than making characters that didn't die on that mission pretty much indestructible - which would be the only other way i could think of doing it!?)
    I did play through a lot of it though not knowing this, and would re-load with all my guys intact and start again.
    Perhaps on the "authentic" diffculty if you lose a guys, you lose him forever, but I doubt it.

12. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Size?

How small is your flat!? Do you even have a TV? I'd hardly call an Xbox large! I have lived in some pretty small rooms (one was about the footprint of a double bed) and have always managed to squeeze the Xbox in! :D