brown spots in battery comparment for powerbook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by orijinal, Aug 23, 2005.

1. orijinal macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2005
    i just took out my battery and i noticed there were some brown spots, like around the screws and some marks throughout. it looks like rust/buildup but i'm not so sure.

is this normal? does anyone else have this?
  2. .Andy macrumors 68030

Jul 18, 2004
    The Mergui Archipelago
    It's not cockroach poo is it? They like warm places like that....

Alternatively it could just be a gum that they put around the screws to seal them.

It's unlikely to be rust - it shouldn't be moist enough and neither titanium nor aluminium tend to rust.
  3. aznsal612 macrumors member

Oct 20, 2004
    The battery or the actually laptop battery compartment.

Could be an aging battery and the process of oxidation.
  4. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    If the brown stuff is kinda crystalline, it could be that your batteries are leaking. You should replace the batteries. How old is the battery pack anyway?
  5. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2005
    there is actually nothing on the battery itself.

it is all just around thse screws... although they don't look like screws now.

i might not have noticed it when i first got it, it could be normal.

the laptop is only 3 weeks old.
  6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005

It could be oxidation from the battery pack being older. I have never seen this from a Lithium Ion battery before, but ill assume any battery could have this happen to it. Touch it and see if it scratches off or if it has adhered to the screws. If the laptop is only 3 weeks old i would be marching in to my nearest Apple store and asking them to take a look at it, maybe it could be the internal battery is leaking or oxidizing, but im really not sure of the location of the internal battery on that model.

7. orijinal thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 6, 2005
    well i'm at college, and the closest apple store is around 150 miles away.

i guess i'll just wait till i get back to labor day to take it to the apple store (bout 5 minutes from my hometown).

i'm surprised nobody else has this. :/