Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Maybe have look at iCab...the only browser for classic OS's I know of that's still under active development.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Thank you,It works great. I thought that you had to pay for iCab, until I actually visited the website, and saw that that only applies to the pro version. :D

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Well, I'm back to using IE, becasue iCab keeps freezeing every 2 minutes and 21 seconds (Yes, I timed it) Plus, for some reason, IE seems faster.

I would much rather have Mozillia, but the iMac has problems unzipping files. Wants me to pay for an Dropstuff Pro or whatever, so it won't do it.

Hmmm....

EDIT: Mozilla is too much of a memory hog for me. (On 32 mb of RAM here, need very small browsers :) ) Guess it's about time to upgrade to 96 mbs...

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Nice list.

Netscape 7 comes to mind as one that I liked the best. Been a while.

To the OP, maybe try each one listed above to see which works best for you.

Already did. Most of them couldn't be expanded, some program I have to pay for to expand them. Mozilla worked, but taking up 20 megs outta my 32 megs of RAM? rediculuos.

IE 5 works, somewhat, but I really would like the newest version of it.

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Cassie said:
EDIT: Mozilla is too much of a memory hog for me. (On 32 mb of RAM here, need very small browsers :) ) Guess it's about time to upgrade to 96 mbs...
I would think so... pretty much any browser is going to feel slow on your system. Do to the ever increasing graphical nature of web pages, browsers need more memory to render pages at reasonable speeds.

In Mac OS 8/9 I give browsers between 35 to 50 MB of memory... even back in 1999/2000 I was giving them between 25 to 40 MB on my systems to deal with the pages on the web back then.

I currently have two systems stuck at 80 MB of memory (one running Mac OS 8.6 and one running Rhapsody 5.1) and I rarely use the internet on either. The systems with the lowest amount of memory that I regularly browse with have either 256 MB (which runs Mac OS 8.6) or 416 MB (Rhapsody 5.6, and I also browse in Blue Box on that system which is Mac OS 8.6).

The two biggest factors with surfing are memory and internet connection speed... they play much bigger roles in normal web browsing than any other factor (even processor speed).

Frankly, 96 MB wouldn't be that much of an upgrade for browsing either. I'd think that 128 MB would be a minimum.

Could anyone post a link to the most recent version of IE, that one doesn't have the download
I forgot that Microsoft has pulled all versions of IE from there site to keep people from using it on Macs.

You can find Internet Explorer 5.1.7 here (link expires in 24 hours).

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
Cassie said:
Uh.. it's trying to open the file with Quicktime...
SMI files are Self-Mounting Images... they open themselves and don't require any other app.

If you are downloading in IE 5, the file should show up on your system as a disk image.

Any other file type is going to require StuffIt... and you seemed adverse to using that app.
:eek:

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
You should be able to mount the file in DiskCopy... even if it shows up as a "QuickTime" file. IE 4 downloaded it as a Quicktime file for me, and that file still mounted in DiskCopy.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Great, now it won't let me login. I'm posting this from my laptop now.

Now, when I try to login, it says the usual thank you for logging in message, then when it redirects, it takes me right back to the login page, saying im not logged in. :confused:

teckman

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2006
Well, I'm back to using IE,
Dump any you see IE. That thingy is a bugger w/other browser on board. We had our tryst w/IE. If you like iCab.:cool:
IE is behaving in OS X, tho.

Pierre Films

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2004
After testing every browser out there for Mac OS 8.6 on my 2400c, I now mainly use Internet Explorer 5.1.7 and Opera 6.0.3. Opera is my favorite as it is speedy and has tabs as well as other things like a Google search box similar to Safari. While Mozilla and iCab both also have tabs, iCab is extremely slow and Mozilla is very clunky. I even get delays typing a simple URL in Mozilla. Netscape is just about the same. IE will open a select few pages that just don't work too well in Opera and it starts up very quickly for visiting a single page.

Opera also works well on MacRumors.com...this post was just edited using it.

Pierre Films
icon_ideaTP.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.