Browser Problems!

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by idkew, Jun 11, 2003.

1. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    Well, a day or so ago, I was doing some pretty processor intensive work, and Finder quit on me. So did Safari.

Well, I did a restart after Safari kept quitting after about 1 or 2 minutes of use. All my Finder and some other, mostly system, preferences were gone. I had to redo my dock, window views..... reall weird stuff. AND, Safari refuses to load more than a page or two before quitting.

I decided to search for all Safari files and trashed them, then downloaded and installed a new copy. No luck. Safari still won't work. It seems that OmniWeb and Navigator are less stable also- although still relatively useable.

Anyone know what might be causing this? Do I need a new java install, did i miss files that could be corrupted?

Oh- I have fixed permissions since.

2. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Don't know which version of Safari you are using, but I had that problem with v72 (Is that right?). Once I had v74 up and running, the problem went away. Have you tried the "reset Safari" thing in the file menu?

Regards,
    Gus

3. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

yes i reset safari. didn't help any.

i am running the most up-to-date release as of today.

come on people- someone else have any ideas to help me out?

4. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

1. What were you doing that was so "processor intensive"?

2. When Safari crashes, any particular type of page open?

3. if all else fails, reinstall the OS while preserving user files. Seems to me that something in the System folder has been corrupted.

5. idkew thread starter macrumors 68020

idkew

1- i was running photoshop with LARGE files open, scanning in a different program, playing mp3s, and browsing.

2- seems any- although i think it likes to crash on more complicated pages, with java or javascript is my guess.

3. will this change/delete anything, or just replace all system files with older but clean ones?

thanks

6. unc32 macrumors regular

I have the same problem and have seen others with the same on the apple discussion forum. I don't know what to do about it and am living with it until the new version. Plus, I am using Camino for when problems arise. Whenever I quit and restart the problem goes away. It is really annoying though.

7. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi

Try reinstalling, while preserving User settings and preferences. I would read up more specifically on how to do it though. That would reset everything within the system level. As in GUI hacks and the like. As well as system update. And I would copy the app and user folder to an external hard drive just as a precaution. But it shouldn't be a problem.