Browser questions

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cindy, Jan 3, 2004.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

I have downloaded Mozilla (the latest one) and have been using that. It was working pretty good. Faster than Explorer for some reason.
    But, over the past few days it just quits on me.
    Any suggestions on why this is happening?
    Cindy

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I have no idea, but if you want to use Mozilla over IE/Safari do yourself a favor and get Firebird rather than the full blown Mozilla package.

Download!

3. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

It's faster than Internet Explorer because Explorer is a piece of junk. ;)

Any reason you don't use Safari? It's even faster.

4. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

I am probably the only person who like Camino over Safari. Oh well, I think it rocks; and it plays nicely with hotmail where safari is spotty at best.

5. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

camino's good but isn't it being phased out by firebird? the mac version's got a long way to go before its a decent mac browser - i swear by it on linux and winblows tho!

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

There is a new OmniWeb browser being announced at Macworld. I liked the old version because of its cookie management and ad-blocking features, and this one has some new bells and whistles, such as site-specific settings and seeing thumbnails of web pages that you put in your sidebar. If these features are of interest to you, consider OmniWeb to be another possibility.

7. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

i can't live without tabs, so omniweb is out.

i find myself wanting to use firebird over safari except that there is a little hidden window that is always open. when i use exposé it always shows up... it's so annoying that i only use firebird for testing web page compatibility.

for some strange reason i just don't like camino... something about it just bothers me.

so here i sit using safari, experiencing very fast loading of some pages, and EXTREMELY slow loading of others. (safari has trouble with xml)

8. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I like Camino. It has a nice, quick simple interface, and allows for tabs as well. It seems to be faster than the other browsers.

9. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Personally I can't stand the tabs in Camino, they just look so poorly orchestrated. I used to use Mozilla, but it's kind of buggy and tends to get messed up. I stick with Safari, it's fast, really stable and there's nothing that bothers me when I'm using it. It is a memory hog though, 80 megs with only like 3 tabs open.

10. SBG88 macrumors regular

I doubt that. I will say I am the only one who uses netscape around here. Same as mozilla, but for me more stable and just as fast as any other browser. I also like the fact I can use their mail as a junk mailbox for sites that require addresses or any other reason I don't want to give my personal address.

11. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

I keep going back to Mozilla Firebird from Safari (which I keep trying to like) because of its extra features. Per-site popup blocking. Better cookie controls. Customizable ad blocking (I generally only block the annoying ones - these Websites do have to pay the bills, ya know!). Lots of available extensions.

Actually if Safari would just do the per-site popup blocking that'd be enough for me. ;-)

12. bubbamac macrumors 6502

Firebird seems fastest, but it's pretty ugly, IMHO.

Camino is more attractive, but still not as attractive as Safari, and I do wish it had the "x" that Safari has on the tabs, so they can be closed one by one without using Command W - I always type Command Q, and well, that doesn't make me happy...

So. Safari's primary, Camino's second when a site won't work on Safari.

I hear Aqua's coming to Firebird with the next release, and Camino's also getting an update soon. Try the nightly releases. I use CaminoKnight for the Camino nightlies.

13. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

I just downloaded Mozilla Firebird. We'll see how it goes....
    Cindy

14. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

the most recent nightly of firebird has a beautiful interface, but it still has that little hidden window that annoys the crap out of me.

camino also doesn't have a feature to leave the tabbed viewing open. i want to keep my interface looking the same all the time. with the tab bar coming and going, that just doesn't hold.

15. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I mentioned this in a thread about Safari a while back: in the old days of MacOS (like Netscape on 7.5.3) you'd click and hold on a link or anywhere on a page, and a sub-menu would pop-up. I was really rather disapointed that this feature was not included in Safari. For this reason I've been using Mozilla a lot recently.

Cindy > I'd open the console in the background and check to see if any messages come up when/if Mozilla crashes - that might give you more information.

16. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

just wait till you see what they've got in store for version 5! they took tabs and brought it to the next level. plus a whole helluva lot more. this is going to be sweet indeed. keep your eyes on OmniWeb. this will be the browser to beat.

http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omniweb/5/

17. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah - good idea. Can't remember how to do that?? Refresh me..Thanks
    Cindy

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Applications > Utilities > Console

Fire it up and let it sit in the background

19. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

Got it - thanks. Hey, another question. I'm sure I could figure out how to do this next deal if I mess around here (I don't do different options very often at all) but, it might be easier to just ask..... I want to make Firebird my main opening browser instead of IE -- how do I change this?
    Thanks again..
    Cindy

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Safari > Preferences...

Under General it's right there at the top of the window. Choose from the list next to 'Default Web Browser'.

21. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

At least under Panther that's the case. :) With Jaguar, wasn't it in the System Preferences under "Networking" somewhere?

I don't really understand it. Apple usually is so good about using the intuitive choice, but every once in a while they will put an option someplace really off the wall (as in this case).

22. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

It was in Preferences - got it switched over just fine.
    Cindy

23. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Oh yeah, sorry about that :D Just assumed they were using Panther

I was surprised too, why would they put it there? Minus points for that counter-intuitive decision ...