Browser Sound Problems with Flash. (intel)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hellodon, Feb 19, 2006.

1. hellodon macrumors 6502

It seems that anything with Flash on my intel mac is no longer giving me sound. I am pretty positive that it worked when i first got the computer, and one day it just stopped.

I am trying to watch videos on YouTube and the sound doesnt play. Also the myspace media player for bands etc. does not play..i THINK that is also flash based. I have tried Firefox and Safari..same thing in both.

Anyone else having this problem. I tried using google to figure out a fix but had no luck finding anything.

2. ginner macrumors member

Mine's working.

Have you installed anything recently?

Rest of your sounds OK?

3. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

no i actually don't have much on the machine. Can't think of anything in particular that i installed around the time that the problem started.

Other sounds on the machine are fine, even most in the browsers...just seems like its flash videos. Pages that have embedded sounds play fine, other video formats...etc.

I've searched through my preferences and don't see anything that controls flash or flash sounds. Just tried to download and install 8 again and nothing changes.

Since yours is running fine....something must have messed with a setting on mine up along the way.

Anyone have any ideas for me?

Thanks!

4. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

after reinstalling flash, NOW i am getting the following message from Safari on every page involving Flash.

The page has content of MIME type “application/x-shockwave-flash”, but you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type. A plug-in should be available on this page:

http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer

Do you want to open the page?

and it just takes me back to the installer for flash that i've already installed.
    ugghh......

5. Gambuchi macrumors member

Certainly sounds as though your .plist file in preferences folder from your original install is intimidating your newest install... I would delete any .plist file that references shockwave or flash...

6. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

I deleted all of my preferences completely...then installed the flash player....and as soon as it's finished it is launching safari and taking me to the flash page and instantly giving me this error:

"The page “Macromedia - Flash Player” has content of MIME type “application/x-shockwave-flash”, but you don’t have a plug-in installed for this MIME type. A plug-in should be available on this page:

http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer

Do you want to open the page?"

when i open that page, it is the page for the install file of the flash plug in that was JUST installed. It's taking me in circles.

When that install is finished it should do this: "Your web browser will launch a new window. When the installation is complete, you will see the Macromedia Flash Player logo and text."

but that flash logo is missing and that's when it tells me to install the same thing that just finished. This makes no sense....I can't see anything that I'm doing wrong....?

7. hellodon thread starter macrumors 6502

i hate to bump this thread so soon..but this is driving me crazy...every page i load up..that notice pops down from the top of the browser. i have to figure out how to fix this....i tried calling apple but i dont have an hour to wait on hold right now.

8. Paperdaisies macrumors newbie

I have been having this exact same problem. I'd really appreciate some help...I am missing out on my Strong Bad fix...(^_^)

All the browsers we have on this compy have no sound in flash (firefox and safari). I am on a G5 imac. It began yesterday and I am getting very annoyed...before then we had absolutely no problems with any Flash stuff.

:confused:Help?

9. Paperdaisies macrumors newbie

10. funkychunkz macrumors 6502a

funkychunkz

This is a know bug for all intel macs using flash, btw. It's been mentionned a couple times on MR if you look. :)

11. kelkat macrumors newbie

Had the "no sound thing" happen to me too.

Try this:
    Go to HD>Applications>utilities>AudioMIDI setup
    Now, on the left you will see a scroll down menu for PROPERTIES FOR. Scroll to Built-in Output.
    Then, down at the right hand corner you should see a block of info under Audio Output. Make sure the sliders are not muted, and make sure Format scroll indicated 44100.0 HZ.

Somehow these setting got changed in my case. All is well now. Hope this helps.

12. Zorbix macrumors newbie

Had the same problem and I just found out why it wasn't working anymore. Go to Applications, select the browser you use, and make sure that the 'Rosseta' box is NOT checked. Hope it helps for you too :)