Browser

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by oldschool, Oct 2, 2003.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

What do you guys use for your browsers? I just use safari. I'm new to osx, and I keep hearing mozilla and opera. What are these and what is the point of using other ones?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

I use Safari and Netscape Navigator. Safari works on most every site out there, but ocassionally I'll run across one that isn't. I open it with Navigator, send a bug report to Apple. If there's anything Apple can do about making the site Safari-compatible, they do it, and usually within a few days.

4. advres Guest

advres

i usually use safari but have some problems with ebay. sometime i have to erase my ebay cookies... shut down safari... then open it again and it will work fine. i used opera for a while and i didn't like the way it opened pages.

even with the kinks still in it i have found safari to be my best choice as of recent.

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Firebird, always, on every platform; cept linux where I use Mozilla :)

6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

7. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

ditto - firebird's a little on the slow side but that should change when we hit 0.7 (any day now). Not tried any recently nightlies.

8. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Mozilla is the free open-source project that formed the basis for the Netscape browser.

Opera is a stand-alone program. It's available for a fee or free if you let it give you pop-up ads. Opera's claim to fame is speed in its rendering. I suppose, as long as IE doesn't have pop-up control, then that's a feature as well.

They're both available for Mac from their respective sites. I think that Opera for PC has the best ability to properly render web pages optimized for various browsers -- not sure about the Mac version's abilities.

They're all better than IE.

9. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I agree...Usually takes a few seconds for me on the comps I have tried it on...

The biggest thing that amazes me about Firebird, and Mozilla in general, is that their betas, and even their nightlies, are more stable than IE's final releases....

That has always amazed me.

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I would have to say Camino. While I don't particularly like the way they organize their bookmarks and history, it is the fastest browser I've ever used in OS X.