Browsers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cindy, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Cindy macrumors regular

Currently I'm using Mozilla Firebird 0.7 and I like the features it has. But, it crashes alot. It just closes and quits.
    Why?

2. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

0.7 is extremely outdated. 0.8 Was released just a week ago :)

Now, you haven't said if you are on a PC or Mac platform. From a PC standpoint, since upgrading from 0.7 to a nightly build to 0.8, i have yet to see a crash.

3. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

mnkeybsness

0.8 is amazing... except that little hidden window bothers me so much since i use expose constantly and it always just shows up and takes up extra space

i'm sticking with safari for now.

4. guyute macrumors member

for the past couple of days I have been trying firefox and it seems a little faster than safari. Maybe this is just me but that has been my observation.

5. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

I'm using a Mac platform. Well, when I have some extra time - I'll download the 0.8 -- can you give me a link to it?
    thanks

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

http://www.mozilla.org

7. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

I've downloaded Firefox 0.8 -- mnkeybsness: what hidden window are you talking about?
    I only wish the buttons above (back button, home etc.) were in color -- too much to ask for?? LOL.
    I don't like black and white.
    In any case, I'll see how this browser works out.
    Cindy

8. beefcake macrumors 6502

The hidden box is an expose bug. When Firefox (or Firebird) open and you use the F9 "show all" function, a little window belonging to Firefox appears randomly on the screen, and disappears after you hit F9 again.

9. billyboy macrumors 65816

billyboy

Are you remembering to Repair Permissions after installing new software? Beta software is good fun but it needs to be treated with kid gloves.

10. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

11. mms macrumors 6502a

It's a bug with expose? I thought it was a problem with the Mozilla engine. Not entirely sure though. Anyone know whose fault it is, Apple's or Mozilla's?

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's a Mozilla feature and/or bug that's been there since the Mozilla/Netscape browser was reborn at version 5.0.

I couldn't care less about the extra window, only the one that's active and Phoenix/Firebird/Firefox is quite good.

As far as the black and white buttons in the navigation toolbar, you can replace the theme and get some others.