Brush with fame and fortune...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

This thread got me thinking:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=1192620#post1192620

How close have you been to fame and fortune?

For my other half, Goldie Hawn was his baby sitter.

For me it was nearly decking Sarah Jessica Parker (see above thread). Or the many opportunities living in the DC area of State Department or White House dinners in my younger years.

The best was when I spent a couple weeks out on the Cape. Met a guy in my stay. He asked if I wanted to have the 4th of July festivities over on his relatives place on the Cape. Turned out to be Patrick Kennedy and the party at Hyannisport Kennedy compound!

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Met Kelsey Grammer at a hawaiian luau once - I was the first to recognize him by his voice as we were loading up our plates at the buffet. Eventually, they had to make an announcement to leave him alone, people were going nutso. Completely unrelated, watched a local at the same party severely burn his feet doing once of those fire-on-both-ends-of-my-stick dances. The guy had to end his performance way early and was helped off stage.

3. Sir_Giggles macrumors 6502a

Sir_Giggles

I ran into Jessica Alba at a mall. Didn't get the nerve to ask her out. :mad:

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I was at the opening showing of 'Seusical' and there were a couple celebrities there, including Sarah Jessica Parker. But I haven't really talked to any.

scem0

5. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Did get bumped to First Class on Eastern so many years ago. My seat mate was Woodward or Woodward and Berstein fame. As a history buff it was a great flight from Atlanta to DCA.

As I have mentioned before in other posts I look at myself as l lucky to have had a Forrest Gump like life.....

6. mpw Guest

This thread made me think who I'd 'met' that was famous and was suprised how long the list was!

Admitedly they're all pretty 'B' list.
    On holiday we've stayed at the same hotel as Keith Chegwin and at seperate times two contestants from BBC's fame academy! Sat next to Paul Young at the cinema. Pushed the boxer Steve Collins out the way in a newsagents and bumped into Nigel Benn at the airport. Lawrance Llyelin-Bowan flounced past at the airport and I've met Alan Wicker and 'Jack Higgins' a bunch of times.
    I've spoken to Great Scarchi, David Coultard and Mika Hakkanin on the 'phone and written to them when I worked in a Bank. Also while at the Bank I had a bunch of calls with Felicity Kendall 'cause my boss was German and had never heard of her. She probably doesn't mean a thing to anyone unless they're British and 35+.

Oh and the guy who invented the Black & Decker workmate and 60's Lotus Elan I've met a bunch of times as he's a regular customer. When I first met him he was asking if he could park his car in our firms car-park and said something like "...can I park my car here, it's a 1960's Lotus Elan which I designed." Nothing like pride 'ais!

7. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

My dad seems to have had many more brushes with famous people than I have. He used to travel a lot and would occasionally run into celebrities in the airport. I know that he's met Jerry Mathers ("The Beaver") and John Lithgow, among others.

I've gotten autographs from a few well known authors (e.g. Lewis Grizzard and Sean Hannity) at book signings. When I was a kid, a friend and I chased down Gene Roddenberry (creator of "Star Trek") for an autograph. Back in February 1994, my wife and I honeymooned at Disney World right after the Winter Olympics. Nancy Kerrigan (the Silver medalist in Women's Figure Skating) was there at the same time with her family. We weren't stalking her, but we did manage to run into her a lot and it got to be funny after the first few times. She was pretty gracious despite all of the media attention focused on her at the time.

8. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

My condolences!