Brushed Aluminum iMacs in August?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by Tsurisuto, Jul 6, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

2. macrumors 6502

Awesome!! It sure seems everything is pointing to mid July - Mid August. I need a new Imac (currently have a G5) and am waiting for the new revision!

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors 6502a

phalewhale

Sounds like getting rid of the "chin" is gonna make the new iMac half an inch thicker than it already is! To be honest, I'm not that keen on anodized/brushed whatever you want to call it aluminium. I'd actually be happy with a speed bump, double the memory, and a black option so long as you don't have to pay crazy money for black.

Oh, and a decent graphics card to play these new games we heard about at WWDC

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Same here. I currently have a 2.0Ghz G5, and although there is NOTHING wrong with it, I just want a new Mac!

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I personally like the brushed metal look (it looks fantastic on the Cinema Displays).

7. macrumors regular

if (and this is a big if) think secret is right

tis basically going to be macbook pro specs in a new aluminium enclosure, hence the new graphics card will likely be nvidia 8600m gt, maybe a slightly better one as a BTO option on 24 inch

8. macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I think it will be worth the wait. The Cinema Display look of the new iMacs will look awsome.

9. macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

Imagine they make the GPU, HD and RAM easily replaceable.

Rich.

10. macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

nice! I've been waiting and I already have 900 for my iMac! can't wait to get one! I'm getting mine in august becuase thats when my job is done before I going to be a junior in H.S.! I can't wait to see what they look like!

11. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Hopefully they will retain the practice of using desktop video chips.

12. macrumors regular

think we could call it a minor redesign

basically a 2 inch thick ACD with a little bit of a chin?

13. macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

This is really good news, sleekness.

14. macrumors 6502

Man i hope they really don't wait till August, that is to long of a wait. I really hope Apple makes a announcement soon that is the only wait i would even consider waiting until then.

15. macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

It's only next month, if the rumor holds true, the most you have to wait until is August 31. It's not that long to wait. ;)

16. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Brushed Aluminum iMacs in August?

[​IMG]

ThinkSecret believes that the next generation iMac is in line for release in August with a brushed aluminum enclosure at only two inches thick:
    The new iMac is expected to be based on the Santa Rosa architecture and will only come in only 20" and 24" flavors with the 17" set to be discontinued.

Our Buyer's Guide notes that it has been 303 days since the last iMac update.

Article Link

17. Moderator emeritus

sushi

I'm with you on this.

We have iMacs in the office. The "chin" is a great place to put stickies. The current materials are easy to keep clean.

While I like the metallic Apple displays, I prefer the iMac to be made out of the same type of materials that Apple currently uses -- especially if it remains as thick as it currently is or becomes thicker.

The biggest complaints that I hear about the current iMac is the lack of upgradability. If Apple can create a version that allows RAM & HD upgrading that would be great. The cherry on top would be to add CPU and video card upgrading.

And yes I know, why not go with a Mac Pro? As one of my co-workers said the other day, "the iMac is so simple, no box, no wires, just a nice looking display that has everything" pretty much sums it up.

While I like hearing that the 20" may become the base, I hope they don't loose the 17" version cost wise. I think a cheaper iMac will encourage more switchers from what I've seen. Especially since you can connect a second monitor.

18. macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

I hope the 24" receives a price drop as well then.

19. Retired

psychofreak

No other manufacturer can spend this long updating a machine...this new iMac better be awesome! I need something to play with at the Apple Store...

20. macrumors member

sweet! would be cool if they looked like the apple cinema displays, i'd certainly upgrade my beloved 20" G5!

Rowan

21. macrumors member

If the price of the 24" model drops low enough, I may consider getting one of those instead of the 20". But either way, it's all going to depend on what the internals look like in terms of hardware. I know a lot of people are very eager to see what they do with the video card given Apple's recent announcements at WWDC '07.

22. macrumors newbie

I am holding out too. I have decided to switch back to a desktop, but the MacPro is more than I really need. Plus I think the 24" display is sweet. I would also hope that the price of the 24" will drop, and I would not be surprised if it did to $1599 (since the 23" display price dropped, and when they redo the Cinema Display they will purchase larger quantities of 24" panels) $1599 would be a sweet spot for the 24" with the 20" hitting around $1299 and $1099 (for the base model). Sign me up for the 24" iMac when it comes out soon. I cannot hold out much longer!!!!

23. Retired

psychofreak

And when you're done with it (i.e. the internals are not powerful enough), it will make a great display...

24. macrumors 603

aswitcher

I really hope they manage to make this form factor change do a few other cool things than be a cheap upright MBP with a screen.

User serviceable dual HDDs would be nice. Dual OSs, TimeMachine.

4 user serviceable ram slots! for dual OSs.

Secondary screen? Touchscreen? for widgets and key apps/taskbar (Guess not if the chin is going)

Rotate to portrait mode - nicer support arm

25. Moderator emeritus

sushi

This would be a nice feature and selling point.