Brushed Medal

Discussion in 'macOS' started by BarfBag, Sep 8, 2005.

1. BarfBag macrumors member

I think that the brushed medal is ugly. I prefer the look that Mail has. Is it possible to turn off burshed medal altogether?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Umm... It's brushed metal. :p

For the Finder, press the little clear bubble in the top left hand corner of each window. :)

There are third party hacks to get rid of the rest of the brushed metal, but I wouldn't recommend them.

3. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

i hope they change everything to the polished meTal look of itunes 5

4. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I think Leopard will be more the style of iTunes 5 and Mail.

5. unfaded macrumors 6502

Mail = Unified.

I would say iTunes = Unified Metal. it's much darker than Mail.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I agree. It's interesting, Apple used to always use QuickTime to show off their new styles but now they seem to be using Mail. :confused:

Meh, whatever.

7. Ikstej24 macrumors regular

I like the new look of iTunes and Mail....if they could make the finder look the same....that would look great

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I never thought anything was wrong with Mail's interface, I sorta like it.

The jury is still out on iTunes. The plasticy look makes it seem like fischer price designed it, but brushed metal was getting sort of dull too.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Apple is moving towards "frame-less windows."

Here is why, since forever all OSes, including Vista has a frame to represent a "window." Apple wants to change the end-users idea of what it is to interact with the information on screen and not a window or windows in general.

By displaying only the information you get rid of the stereotypical ideal of what is "known" as a window Operating System Environment.

Does this clear up the confusion. I believe OS 11 will have information more natural rather than have it clustered in a square, or circle. Think 3D interactive environment without windows, however instead something more natural. ;) :) I think its great, I dislike the metal or plastic on the top and bottom of a shell. I wish it could have only been a title bar. We will get there soon enough. :D

10. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The rounded corners on iTUnes 5 is off when compared to Mail. Plus the rectangle lcd screen on the iTunes UI looks odd since people like things that are round or oval and it somewhat does not fit with the overall OS X UI. Look at the search fields there are all oblong shaped. :)

11. jholzner macrumors 65816

jholzner

12. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

That's funny. So I'm not quite sure Daring Fireballs stance is on it. I like the new interface.

13. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Am I the only one who likes Brushed metal??

I dont know, I like the look.

I am kinda pissed iTunes doesnt match with Safari, iChat, Quicktime, and Finder now.

14. mcmillan macrumors 6502

That's really funny!!!

"Calculator? I’m out of iTunes and you tell me I’ve still got Calculator? When is the Special Event scheduled for the next version of Calculator? Oh, that’s right, there is none, because no one gives a **** about Calculator."

15. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

I love Plastic. I can only hope Leopard brings a revised "Plastic" Finder, Safari, iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto, iCal, and other Apple Apps - We need a unified theme. Brushed metal and pinstripes should be dead by this time next year. I don't mind a mix of Aqua and Plastic.

16. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

I like the new iTunes look. The sharp corners on window and the screen in iTunes allow for better use of space. I just hope we wouldn't have to wait long for consistent UI look. Perhaps 10.4.3 is going to bring that. The last I have checked this update is basically system wide - it provides fixes to almost all the corners of the system plus its basic apps.

17. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Really...? I normally check out the dev builds, but with school starting and all, I've become a wee bit lax with checking in with all the technical Apple stuff.

18. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

no, I like it too. I understand why people dis-like it, I mean it has been done to death.

Now this brushed medal does intreage me though... ;)

19. emutree macrumors member

I love the new look as well (although it did take some getting used to) and agree that Leopard is probably going to be a combination of Platinum (Mail 2) and "Burnt Platinum" (iTunes 5). I'm just surprised Apple didn't update Quicktime 7 to match iTunes' new look, seeing as it's out of beta on Windows and had a small update on the Mac yesterday. Oh well, maybe in 7.1. iLife (and iWork) '06 will probably make their intentions for Leopard and future apps' interfaces even clearer.
    I just wish that they'd left the volume control bar under the play, next and previous buttons. After seeing it there for so long, it feels so awkward beside them.
    And, after using the new update on Windows, the iTunes menu bar looks very awkward positioned where it is on the window when not using iTunes full screen.

Oh, and that story about Brushed and his agent was hilarious.

20. jsalzer macrumors 6502a

jsalzer

I love brushed metal

I'm using a Pismo and an iMacG5, though - both of which are plastic. The Brushed Metal provides a nice contrast between the computer and windows, as well as between the windows and the contents of that window.

It's poyfect!

However, I'm not sure if I'd be too thrilled about it if my monitor was aluminum. Metal on metal might be kinda ugly.

I wonder if anyone's taken a poll to see if the people who hate brushed metal are on PMs and PBs????

Loved the link. Thanks, jholzner!!!

:)

21. belvdr macrumors 601

<rant>
    Brushed metal is getting old. Actually, it got old really quick.

Personally, I wish I could disable the whole dashboard thing on my iMac. I really find it to be useless (IMO, others mileage may vary) and wish Apple would have spent more time on some other features. It seems like they touted Dashboard over everything and it's just a gadget system.

I am willing to let go of some the "luxury" features like brushed metal and dashboard for some functional improvements, like FTP upload in Finder _and_ quicker refresh of various windows including the desktop. I cannot count how many times I wish the HD icon would refresh and show the real size remaining on the hard disk after copying a huge amount of files.
    </rant>

22. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I remember being really pissed when I first saw brushed metal for 10.3. It slowly grew on me and I came to despise the old "stripes" interface. But I never loved the brushed look, I just didn't mind it. This new iTunes look is amazing, sleek and sexy. I love the smooth, slim, organized feeling it presents.

I do hope that we see a wide spread itunes five look in Leopard. I know I am getting sick of having 5 different looking UIs on one OS.

Also, when is apple gonna change their dang website header, it's so 10.2. ;)

23. belvdr macrumors 601

Wrong, dead wrong.. It's 10.2.4 :D

24. Frisco macrumors 68020

Windows Vista is copying the Brushed Metal look. Now that Apple has changed to the "Plastic" look--I guess Microsoft has to stop everything to copy Apple's new look; once again delaying Vista!

25. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

Aqua (To Brushed Metal): Howdya ****in’ like it now, bee-yotch?

... Awesome