Brutal New Orleans Arrest On Tape

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Xtremehkr, Oct 9, 2005.

1. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link.

The link has video. This is unbelievable, not only did they know there was a camera crew present, one of the cops assaulted a journalist.

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

I saw that on the news and it was very troubling. It was also rather obvious as to the manner in which one of the mounted police officers was moving his horse in an attempt to block the footage of the flurry of punches to the apprehended man's face. Nice try ... didn't work.

3. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

I just don't understand why they felt it necessary to beat an old man into the ground like that, leaving him in a pool of his own blood. Or that they felt they could get away with it. I have to wonder what is going on there.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Is the guy who got beat up been released yet?

Probably they will call forth a cop version of temporary insanity, saying they finally cracked under the stress and lost it.

5. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Seems we'll be hearing a lot more about PTSD in the days ahead, but there's never an excuse for any brutality. Helpers are needing help, as well.

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

There you go, that's what I was thinking of.

Another failed segment of the National Disaster Plan. :(

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It looks like the New Orleans PD has lost their moral Compass.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well we still gotta see what happened in the lead-up to the incident. You never know what this guy may have done until a little follow-up work happens.

On it's surface it's an ugly scene. The fact that the one officer assaults the AP reporter and says he's 'been here for six weeks' suggests that the situation may have been driven at least in part by the officers' experiences over the last couple months, which would point to an overreaction by the police in this situation. We'll have to see

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

They never had one to loose. Anyone who tells me authority and power doesnt corrupt is a liar. These Cops didnt like the fact that this retired school teacher wasnt bowing down to them and their Control. A retired school teacher who doesnt drink checking on their familys stuff and a couple of Iam in charge Cops. Here comes the Police State.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

They are pleading "Not Guilty"!???!!
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNe...ans_policemen_051010/20051010?hub=CTVNewsAt11

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wonder why the so called thugs in uniform had the right to beat the sh.. out of this guy? Even if this dude did something bad should the cops be allowed to beat someone to pulp??? People should be screaming over this crap, its bad enough the cops were looting WalMart & Caddillac but this? New Orleans. aint no wonder took George took his time responding to Katrina. :( Looks pretty corrupt from this viewpoint.

12. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Link

Mr Davis has claimed to have stopped drinking 25 years ago, not just years ago. Considering what Mr Davis claims to have been doing, this makes the situation even worse that what it was first thought to have been.

I understand that the police may be stressed, I am sure a lot of people in NO are stressed right now. My problem is that stress has never been an acceptable excuse for those on the wrong side of the law, why should it be a viable excuse for those who are supposed to be on the right side of the law?

The rampant abuse of authority in this situation is not too much different from the rampant abuse that has occurred in the rest of government over the last 5 years.

13. Xtremehkr thread starter macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

What do you mean?

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Funny thing is I've seen worse on "Cops". Although they tend not to attack the camera crew as well.

15. iDM macrumors 6502a

iDM

The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    It is blatantly obvious that this was police brutality. The man is against a wall with four officers pinning him against the wall...........this is when the police officer punches him 4 times directly in the face. Racist, insanity from the stress of Katrina, whatever the case may be, those two officers in the film blatantly punched this man in the face while he was completely defenseless, not to mention the rule of no hitting in the face that they mention during the video, of the police department.

I say if this man is peeing on the leg of an officer while trespassing, being disorderly, and having a BAC of .9 does not constitute him being punched in the face. In fact I don't think him even resisting arrest(they claim he did, he claims he did not, witness claim he did not) would warrant him being punched in the face. You can take him down with force to subdue him, but it's not right to render him defenseless and THEN cheap shot this man in the face.

Edit:Grammar

16. tristan macrumors 6502a

O'Reilly has the police chief on tomorrow - can't wait to see that. Tonight he had the victim on and it was pretty clear that he hadn't done anything. I predict the city will end up paying him a few hundred grand.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

The Chief will do 1 of two things, back up the officers or distance himself. Im sure if all these fellows are corrupt so is this Chief.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

In other news, I predict 1 of 2 things at the craps table: Either I will win or I will lose.
    ;)

I'm not sure how you get corrupt out of this. It's sounding more and more like officers stressed out beyond their capacity to deal, and taking it out on a civilian. Not sure that points toward corrupt cops.

I know there have been days when I've been on a very short fuse. Thankfully I've never had one of those days combine with a day when I run into someone who I feel deserves a beating. :eek:

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You don't think this kind of sh*t goes on all the time, just not usually on camera?

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

As Abu Ghraib proved, it's only when people can see the abuse happening that they care at all.

21. tristan macrumors 6502a

Somebody from the NOPD was on O'Reilly last night. BO asked him how he knew the guy was intoxicated, and whether he had any evidence, and the guy said no physical evidence but eyewitness testimony would "prove" it. He also said the guy stumbled into a horse, used profanity, and nobody hit him once he was down. Sounds like BS to me.

22. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

What bothers me most about this, is that if this happened 200 years ago, the public would simply not stand for it, and those officers would be publically beaten and or hanged.

Think of the boston masacre. Although a little different, when people were innocently killed, the public did not allow it, and those soliders were arrested, and all the rest of them were moved out of boston.

Now, the public says "Aww...that's terrible. But the gov't will handle it."

No, the gov't won't handle it. The gov't is the one doing it.

People used to be much more publically active,a nd lack of action on the public really worries me. It's almost as if people will let the gov't/police do anything they wish.

People need to stand up for themselves and each other. This cannot be allowed.

If this happened in the middle of a busy city in daylight, I bet no citizen would jump in for that guys aid and try to stop it. No body would grab the cops and restrain them. They'd be too afraid of getting arrested themselves.

But tell me, what is worse: Getting arrested for protecting the rights of life, or idley standing buy and watching them be taken away?

I'd take a sentence to help that man. If the court system deemed I was in the wrong to do that, I would rather spend my time in jail away from a world so detached from the freedoms our country was founded on.

The public should not fear being arrested for protecting their rights and the rights of others; the police should fear that the public WILL protect their rights if they act that way.

23. tristan macrumors 6502a

The police officers are suspended pending a trial. That's positive. If they're acquitted then the public will scream bloody murder I think.

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Depends on what comes out between now and any acquittal. At this point I'd have to say it doesn't look good for the cops, particularly in light of the expression of frustration leveled at the AP reporter.