Bryce 5 Download Installer: Argh!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Makosuke, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Doubt there's many people reading these forums at 1:20am on Christmas Day, but I need to vent anyway. Long story short, I bought Bryce 5 online for download, but the 95MB installer refuses to complete downloading in both Safari and Camino. Why?

Long story long:

I figure, "Hey, Bryce 5 would be a great last-minute Christmas gift!" Pay online, download the installer, and you're ready to roll in ten minutes, no malls, no hassle, easy as could be.

So I pay my $80, and up pops the happy 95MB download in my "available downloads". Then I try to download it using Camino. 5 minutes later, the download inexplicably fails halfway through. Ooookay, try again. I just downloaded the 111MB NeoOffice beta DMG a couple days ago, so I know Camino doesn't mind big downloads, and my connection is plenty fast--4mbit.

It dies abruptly about halfway through again. Grr... I don't care much about the wasted 5 minutes, but you only get four attempts to download the bloody thing, and now I'm down to two.

Let's try Safari. This time, I give the 90MB Windows installer a shot instead, so I don't use up another of my attempts. No problem at all, so off goes the Mac .sit. Five minutes later, the download apruptly stalls dead for no apparent reason--internet connection is still fine, I was specifically not doing anything but staring at the progress bar this time, and the speed goes from 100K/s to zero. Safari sits there still trying, though, so I figure I'll just go listen to some music and leave it running--who knows, maybe it'll kick in after a while.

Now I get home to find a 150MB file that Stuffit says is corrupt waiting on my desktop (again, the total was only supposed to be 95MB, so obviously something is very wrong), and my final download attempt has been used up despite me not having even been home to click the bloody link.

So my general question is, assuming that Daz's tech support deigns to give me some more tries to download the frickin' file whenever they get back to work, what the heck am I supposed to do to actually download it successfully? It ain't my browsers, it ain't my connection, and it ain't my disk--what's going on here?

2. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

maybe its theri files...

3. Makosuke thread starter macrumors 603

Wouldn't be their files, or the download would just be corrupt--there's something their webserver is doing wrong or in a way that both Camino and Safari don't like that's causing the download to die halfway through (and not in the same place each time, either).

You'd think that if they're charging people $80 for a Mac download, they'd be sure it works smoothly. SketchUp... now there's software done right. Download the full program first for a time-limited trial, and then pay for a licence afterwards if you want. Had that bought and running in 5 minutes.

By the way, applemacdude, it's really not necessary to quote an entire post ('specially a long one) when yours is the first reply--we know what's you're replying to.