Bryce 6

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fivetoadsloth, Oct 18, 2006.

1. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Came out today! I'm happy (One of the few that still use bryce it seems). Only concern is this: #

# OpenGL compatible graphics card with at least 128 MB of onboard
    (Drivers supporting OpenGL 1.1 recommended)

THink itll run on a macbook? Bryce 5.5 haad that "Highly recommended" and it ran fine. Thanks

And for those interested: http://www.daz3d.com

2. Yacomo macrumors newbie

Oh, there are a lot more Bryce users around than you might think! ;)

Don't be too worried, the OpenGL requirements are overspecced on purpose because this new version of Bryce is expected to be used in conjunction with Poser models which naturally come with a lot of hires textures...

Bryce only uses OpenGL for preview purposes in the viewport. If you really get into trouble, you can just change the viewport mode :)

3. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

thanks, i just needed reassurance. i NEED it to work. and for those who are wondering, those few elft, i emailed daz and they plan on having a UB version out by the end of this year.

4. faustfire macrumors 6502a

faustfire

I used to love bryce back in the day. Have you used any full featured 3D programs before? In not you should check one out, I would suggest C4D. If you know bryce than you already have your head around 3d, which is the hardest part, and you can do a lot more with a full 3d program. Just my 2 cents.:)

5. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

yeah, the ossue is im in 9th grade and not yet all that rich. bryce is the most affordable and gives me the omst bang for my buck. i have the maya learning edition but everything reders with MAYA Learning Edition written all over it so i dont use it that much. i plan on getting the full version of maya and cinema 4d once i have money. thanks though.

6. exsanguinate macrumors member

From what I can tell, Bryce is still a PowerPC program, and I heard a MacBook mentioned. Isn't using a 3d app under rosetta a pretty bad idea?

7. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

yeah i run bryce 5.5 and it is slow, i emailed daz to ask when an intel version of bryce is coming out, bryce 6.5 will be intel
    and will be out late this year
    sorry if i was confusing

8. Yacomo macrumors newbie

Just for fun I installed the new Bryce version on a seven year old Sony Vaio notebook with 256MB ram and an onboard S3 graphics chip.

To my surprise it runs pretty well even on that ancient machine. Even the OpenGL preview 'worked' although it was unbearably slow, so I switched back to wireframe.

If you want to get your hands on a 'real' 3D application for cheap. may I suggest Blender (www.blender.org) or Wings3D (www.wings3d.com)? Both are free and available as universal binaries. Blender is a whole 3D suite while Wings3D only is a modeler, but it combines well with Bryce as a renderer.

Lastly, Lightwave (www.newtek.com) is worth a look too for a professional level tool. It is way cheaper than Maya and Newtek is showing MASSIVE interest into the mac platform lately. With daily staff posts and queries in their Macintosh forum ;)

9. fivetoadsloth thread starter macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

thank you. i have blender and have started using it but my results in bryce still are alot better and i dont have much time between school and homework. ill look at wings 3d and thank you again.